Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Blum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I installed Snow Leopard Server on a new Mini. The install went fine. Shut the mini down. Started it up about 24 hours later, and I get to the gray screen and that's it.

I exchanged the mini for a new one. Installed Snow Leopard Server on the new one. Install went fine. Ran updates. Restarted the mini several times with no problem. Shut it down, waited 24 hours, and now it's the gray screen again.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Have you tried holding option when you boot to see if it shows your startup drive?

Brian Blum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Have you tried holding option when you boot to see if it shows your startup drive?

I just tried it. Yes, it shows the name of the hard drive. I click that and it just stays on the gray screen with the spinning gray thing.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I just tried it. Yes, it shows the name of the hard drive. I click that and it just stays on the gray screen with the spinning gray thing.

Hold down the Command+ V key on boot. It should enter Verbose mode, you should be able to find out where it is hanging.

Just so you know, I am running SLS on my new 2.26 Mini and it working great. So I know you can get it working :D

Brian Blum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Hold down the Command+ V key on boot. It should enter Verbose mode, you should be able to find out where it is hanging.

Just so you know, I am running SLS on my new 2.26 Mini and it working great. So I know you can get it working :D

Thanks. I did that and it hangs up here:

Oct 13 17:48:44 server com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[63]: posix_spawn("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory​

"server" is the name of my server.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You can try this to get it load:

1) boot with [command+s key]

2) sbin/fsck -fy

3) sbin/mount -uw /

4) disable bonjour with "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist"

You'll get an error message saying it could not unload, that is normal.

5) Reboot

You should be able to boot. But this isn't really a fix, it seems like DNS isn't properly setup. If you are able to boot disable the DNS service with server admin and reload mDNSResponder

"launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist"

Let us know what happens.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Or you could take the mini and your Snow Leopard Server disc to an Apple Store and have a Genius take a look at it. Or call AppleCare and have them walk you through it. OS X Server comes with very good support.

Brian Blum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for all the help. It's fixed now. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm talking about so I can't really explain what I did except to say:

I booted in single-user mode (CMD-S). Then I typed:

mount -uw /

chmod 775 /

Then pressed Ctrl-D and it rebooted fine.

It's all gibberish to me really. I did learn two things from this though: 1. This forum is awesome; and 2. Servers are best left to the professionals.

I'm having fun messing around with it though. Thanks again!

Reactions: Ekos

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for all the help. It's fixed now. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm talking about so I can't really explain what I did except to say:

mount -uw /

chmod 775 /

It's all gibberish to me really. I did learn two things from this though: 1. This forum is awesome; and 2. Servers are best left to the professionals.

Interesting. What you did was change the root permissions.

Remember, the professionals started where you are today. I am not there yet, but hope to be an Apple SysAdmin in the near future

Good luck and have fun. Just a tip though, do lots of testing and be careful with your data.

dkshure

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Thank You!!!

Thanks so much for posting this solution. I am in the same boat as you - learning. I searched for 3 hours before I found this solution, thanks again!

dwlnetnl

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
The "chmod 775 /" thing really worked! Amazing, thanks! I wonder what changed the root permissions.

Ekos

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008

mount -uw /

chmod 775 /

10 years later, this answer helped bring my Mac mini 2,1 Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8 back to life. Thanks!

Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.