Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antsmash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Hello.

I have recently acquired three of these. A Indigo, Blueberry and Tangarine model.

Unit I would like to get going is the Indigo =)

So far I have added a 512MB Stick of PC133, and have a 40GB drive ready for it as well. This laptop currently has a 10GB Apple drive in it. (Hmm thought they came with 6GB stock?)

Anyway, these were donated to me by a friend because they were assumed dead. Now two of them seem to be working fine. They appear to be from a school, so have differant user accounts and all with passwords. The OS on them is OS 9.2.

My question is, what OS shall I put on it? I have OSX Lepoard, but am trying to get my hands on Tiger. And if I want to install OSX can I just wack in a bigger hard drive, and run it off the install an external DVD drive? Since OSX is DVD (Or can you get Tiger in CD Version?).

Will I need to run any firmware upgrades or anything? If so, I would probably need to reset passwords some how.

Appreciate the help.

-Antony

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
with that machine if you want osx id say your gonna have to go with panther 10.3 but if your planning on using it for anything other than word processing its really not even worth it, i played with one for awhile once and they are just too slow

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
^^ Exactly. These will run best with OS 9, but X is possible, if you stick with Panther. Sure it would run Tiger, but the experience would not be good. Leopard is a no go - requires a G4/867MHz. (There are hacks, but Leopard sucks on my G4/1.33GHz PowerBook - that's why I stick with Tiger on it.)

Antsmash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Cheers guys. Would be good if we could use it for Word Processing, Facebook, and IM =)

Is there a way I can do a repair of OS 9? Or will I need a disk. (Password problem)

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I had 10.3 running on my 366 ibook. It ran well at the time but video was not possible. Office 2004 ran word documents and the old Safari included with Panther worked at the time. Given that my current ibook (1Ghz) runs very slow on the internet, I would guess that your ibooks would be almost useless online. Still, it is fun to get old machines running and watch them tick.

I think there is an overclock option on the G3's you could check out.

s.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Hey,10.3 Panther is the way to go,everything like iTunes,safari and stuff like that work well with Panther,I have 3 iBook G3's as well,and they all have 10.1 Puma on them but my main has Panther,I tried tiger,too slow even on a 466Mhz with 320MB ram and 80GB HD.Hope that helps.:)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have a Blue iMac G3, which is the desktop version of that machine. It runs great with either Panther or OS9. Tiger does not run well with it though. It runs best with OS9 because thats what its made for :D

Panther runs well on it too though;)

Word processing is ok on it, but I don't think you'd get IM. Internet even isn't a very good experience on my iMac G3:(

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
... Internet even isn't a very good experience on my iMac G3:(

Kinda ironic since it is the Internet Macintosh :rolleyes: but hey everything becomes obsolete in time. I have an iMac G3 in Key Lime, an amazing machine to be true but It's more of a piece of art now than a useful machine.

I agree with the majority of the posters, Panther is probably your best bet. Make sure you get a hold of a consumer copy of the OS though or you'll miss out on correct drivers for your machine. You'll also be able to run Safari on Panther, although I seriously doubt that machine will cope well with Flash and Java and the like.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Kinda ironic since it is the Internet Macintosh :rolleyes: but hey everything becomes obsolete in time. I have an iMac G3 in Key Lime, an amazing machine to be true but It's more of a piece of art now than a useful machine.

I agree with the majority of the posters, Panther is probably your best bet. Make sure you get a hold of a consumer copy of the OS though or you'll miss out on correct drivers for your machine. You'll also be able to run Safari on Panther, although I seriously doubt that machine will cope well with Flash and Java and the like.

What version of Safari works on Panther. Because I tried Safari 2, Safari 3, Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 and they all failed on mine:(

I had to use internet explorer 5 which is a piece of crap that can't even load CSS properly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.