Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henry123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Hi all,

I tried to search the forum but didn't find anything related to this.

I have:
MacBook, a Win 7 ultimate disk, two OSX install discs

I want to achieve:
Install the Win 7 without using the BootCamp and NO OSX should be installed on my disk

Current status:
I followed the link and it works (almost). http://derekhat.com/install-vista-on-a-macbook-without-bootcamp/
The wireless is working on the first login and the drive for intel chipset is updated through windows update.
Installed Input remapper.

Issues:
1. No Sound
2. Can not adjust the brightness even the icon shows up on the screen
3. The temperature of the laptop is extremely high

Anyone knows the solutions for these issues? The win 7 seems cannot read anything from the OSX DVD so I couldn't get the Boot camp driver inside, also tried to install the BootCamp Driver 2.1 for Vista and it didn't work (did turn on Vista Compatibility and runas Admin).

Thanks!

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Get the Bootcamp 3.0 Drivers from a Snow Leopard disk. If you don't have SL, download it from the net. You can easily find them with google.

1) The sound will start working after installing BC 3.0 drivers. Though its volume might be low... install the fix from this forum.

2) You will be able to so after BC 3.0 driver

3) Getting a cooling pad is the only option...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What a misleading thread and blog post title! There are already plenty of threads about "Windows only" Macs and it should say either Windows without OS X or Windows without Boot Camp Assistant.

Boot Camp is three separate things:

1) Boot Camp Assistant
2) The firmware options/updates that allow for BIOS emulation and booting Windows media
3) The drivers provided by Apple on the Leopard/SL DVD or downloaded for Tiger when it was available.

This thread shows you pretty much always need #3, but you can skip #1 and #2 if you have any Mac releases since the original downloadable Boot Camp and know how to or are willing to partition the HDD manually. Since some of the hardware is specific to Apple, you will generally need the latest Boot Camp drivers.

B

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
The win 7 seems cannot read anything from the OSX DVD so I couldn't get the Boot camp driver inside, also tried to install the BootCamp Driver 2.1 for Vista and it didn't work (did turn on Vista Compatibility and runas Admin).

Reason for not finding Bootcamp drivers on an OS X install disk is probably pre Leopard editions. From Leopard on you get Bootcamp 2.0 drivers. If you download 2.1 drivers from Apple they will not install because they are meant for update of pre installed 2.0 drivers only.

From Snow Leo onwards you get 3.0 drivers.

jakesakic

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Just swap hd with already existing win7 install on normall laptop or clone a working win7 into the apple HD....

As long as there is no APPLE files on the HD....macbookpro should attempt to load the OS for 1+minute (hear chime sound, withe screen, wait 1+min and see win7 start loading)

After that let windows update itself(5min all driver it can find are downloaded)

Only tried withh win7_32 enterprise

BooYa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.