Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Pepsi apologizes for iPhone app that many are calling sexist

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Pepsi apologizes for iPhone app that many are calling sexist
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Unspoken Demise
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Unspoken Demise
Good god. I read that whole article, and frankly, if you think #pepsifail then you seriously need something else to get angry about.

Sexist for a brag feature? Guys will brag with or without the help of an app.

Kudos to pepsi for not removing it. Maybe some moderation to keep names of women out of posts, but other than that, I see no issue. Just make sure identities are safe.
Unspoken Demise is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:54 AM   #3
KiraDouji
macrumors member

To quote the article...

Quote:
Itís one thing to have an app chock full of clever and cheesy pickup lines, but itís an entirely different story to let users write down the names and details of their sexual conquests and share that info with the world with the simple tap of a button.
... And that pretty much sums it up. It's not castratingly bad, but I don't see how you can argue it's not objectifying.

KiraDouji is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
iOrlando
macrumors 68000

I , and so many other people, never heard of this app until all the fuss over it. Therefore I downloaded it (of course...I mean who wouldnt)...and I actually like it. Its witty, yet free, and a great time waster.

the people who failed are those arguing against this app. The more noise they make, the more downloads this app will get.
iOrlando is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
guitarman777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOrlando View Post
I , and so many other people, never heard of this app until all the fuss over it. Therefore I downloaded it (of course...I mean who wouldnt)...and I actually like it. Its witty, yet free, and a great time waster.

the people who failed are those arguing against this app. The more noise they make, the more downloads this app will get.
The old "bad press is good press" bit. Ain't it the truth.
guitarman777 is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6
flakes8
macrumors regular

Quote:

I Did Too
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:35 AM   #7
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

Sweet, look at this app I had never heard of.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:49 AM   #8
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

The thing is that anyone who uses this app to proposition a woman will likely have very little to brag about. It looks like it's meant to be humorous. There are much worse things in life for young people, like .... drinking Pepsi
swingerofbirch is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:24 AM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraDouji View Post
... And that pretty much sums it up. It's not castratingly bad, but I don't see how you can argue it's not objectifying.
I thought the entire thing was stupid but inoffensive; apart from the lines you quoted. The potential for privacy violations should have set off the warning bells with whoever wrote this app, surely.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:41 PM   #10
savoirfaire
macrumors 6502

It's no worse than Maxim magazine, but then again, Pepsi probably wants women to keep buying Pepsi products, whereas Maxim's target audience is pretty specific!
savoirfaire is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:44 PM   #11
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Quote:

i got mine. its funny.
bruinsrme is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:59 PM   #12
RazHyena
macrumors 6502a

How bored does someone have to be to whine about this?? I've never even heard of it until the complaints started surfacing.

...uh...do they have one for gay pickup lines?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Melodic
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Melodic
Quote:

Same for me. Never heard of the app until the controversy and I'm downloading it now! lol
Melodic is offline   0
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:06 AM   #14
MarcusH
macrumors newbie

Pepsi gaffe

What's mad, besides the content of this app, is that Pepsi aren't interested in marketing to women or girls. Their marketing $ is spent on guys. Don't women buy or drink Pepsi? So this is incompetent marketing at every level.

But hey! What if Pepsi had written a female version of the same app - with chat-up lines for different categories of men - with names like 'Jock' and 'Nerd'?

Imagine - 'MacGeek' or 'iGeek' might have had a category of his own!
MarcusH is offline   0
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:08 AM   #15
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH View Post
What's mad, besides the content of this app, is that Pepsi aren't interested in marketing to women or girls. Their marketing $ is spent on guys. Don't women buy or drink Pepsi? So this is incompetent marketing at every level.

But hey! What if Pepsi had written a female version of the same app - with chat-up lines for different categories of men - with names like 'Jock' and 'Nerd'?

Imagine - 'MacGeek' or 'iGeek' might have had a category of his own!
This app isn't about Pepsi Cola. It's about AMP ... which I think is a more sugary version of Mountain Dew. It's targeted specifically for guys in the younger demographic.

Perhaps Pepsi should make an app for a Pepsi product that is targeted for women.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:47 PM   #16
mikes70mustang
macrumors 68000

Who cares? How bout an article right next to this one that reads- "cosmo is a smut filled piece of garbage"
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Seriously. Look at Maxim, Cosmo, Playgirl, and Playboy, available in supermarkets all over the country. If they want to advertise their "man soda" with this, go for it--no different than taking out ads in the two male-oriented of those four magazines. Sure, if you get into it there may be privacy concerns, but then Facebook and Myspace are both giant, raging privacy concerns, not to mention drastically more popular, and nobody whines about them.

I'd certainly never have heard of it if it weren't for this.
Makosuke is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion