Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162436-trillian.jpg

Cerulean Studios, the developer of the Trillian unified instant messaging and social networking application for multiple platforms, recently described the long wait for approval for its iPhone app in its blog:

It's been 60 days since our initial and only submission to the App Store. Unlike many of the horror stories you may have read about, we haven't yet received a rejection notice and we're not frantically going back and forth with Apple fixing reported problems. Despite sending a steady stream of emails to Apple requesting status updates, we continue to receive generic form letters in response - frustrating, to say the least.

The Trillian iPhone app will manage multiple IM accounts and will feature push notifications and integration with the company's Astra Service for contact synchronization and more. Despite the lack of explicit communication from Apple, Cerulean Studios notes that it is still "ready and willing to work to work with Apple to ensure the software meets all necessary requirements."

Article Link: Trillian IM App in Approval Limbo

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Apple really needs to fix this ridiculous approval process. This is a terrible way to treat developers; the very people that are making you all that money through the app store and through handset sales.

Applications should be available immediately after submission by the developer. Only if they are reportedly causing problems should they be removed.

Shame on you Apple.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
One of my apps was more than four months before I sent an email to the generic developers email in which then they told me what was wrong (and then they decided to reject the binary).

I hope Trillian comes out. It's doing better than meebo though (which no news has been heard from them).

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple really needs to fix this ridiculous approval process. This is a terrible way to treat developers; the very people that are making you all that money through the app store and through handset sales.

Applications should be available immediately after submission by the developer. Only if they are reportedly causing problems should they be removed.

Shame on you Apple.

Lol underlined for terrible idea.

Anyway, this is a massive system with thousands of apps being submitted a week. There are bound to be apps that slip through the cracks.

jkr801

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Remember that company called meebo that had a good app coming out for this kind of stuff?? whatever happened with that??

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
May 15, 2008

This is what I do for all software updates on our networks. Especially servers. I install it on everyones machine as soon as it comes out and if it causes problems, crashes, outages, etc... THEN I remove them. I mean why bother testing stuff out first?? Just a waste of time...

/sarcasm

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The one app i miss from my PC days is Trillian. Just too easy :)
SO let's get some noise on this thing, and maybe Apple will move a little faster!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Mistakes will happen in a big system, and we only hear about those instances, not the thousands of submissions that go smoothly.

That disclaimer made... this situation, AFTER repeated attempts by the dev to get information, is completely ridiculous!

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
Looking forward to buy this. For now it's better than beejved it has skype also.
Hope they will release trillian version for mac as well even though I like audium.

Good luck trillian!

truhypfra

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
Looking forward to buy this. For now it's better than beejved it has skype also.
Hope they will release trillian version for mac as well even though I like audium.

Good luck trillian!

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.:cool:

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
it's been years since they first started working on a version for Mac OS X. while a web version is available and an iPhone version is ready for approval, i think it's safe to call a native mac version vaporware.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
This is what I do for all software updates on our networks. Especially servers. I install it on everyones machine as soon as it comes out and if it causes problems, crashes, outages, etc... THEN I remove them. I mean why bother testing stuff out first?? Just a waste of time...

/sarcasm

You obviously have absolutely no idea about professional software development.

At my current employer I have prototyped an iPhone client. We're a fairly large software house with products used internationally. What is holding up committing the resources to fully develop an iPhone application is the App Store approval process. We think that it will cost us approximately £50000 to get our application completed but there is no guarantee that Apple will allow it on the App Store. Do you think that I'm going to risk my job by recommending we go ahead with this?

I've also got my own (home developed) app awaiting approval at the moment. It's been 10 days and it still says the same thing: "Status: In Review." Great process isn't it?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I hope all goes well for this developer. I understand that we only hear about the horror stories, but with thousands of apps being submitted each week, why the hell has Apple only invested in 40 people to review them??!!! :rolleyes:

There should be 500 people reviewing apps, it's not like Apple doesn't have the ca$h... :eek:

So far, I've had one app approved (although the first version was initially rejected), and one that went into limbo - the old 'unfortunately it will take longer than usual to approve' line. Ultimately, it was rejected twice and I've given up on it, even though in my second submission I removed the features that they told me the first time would stop it from getting approved. My next app is currently in approval - I just hope there are no issues there.

Please let's not defend this abysmal approval system. It's improved a lot since it first launched, don't get me wrong, but it sounds like it's a simple resourcing issue. Don't forget that, despite Steve Jobs' initial comments to the contrary, the app store is a significant money-maker for Apple. Also, spare a thought for all the apps that hardly make a buck. Apple witholds payment in any territory until it accumlates more than $250 before paying the developer. How many app developers will never be paid for royalties in certain territories? It all adds up. Not to mention the money they make on investing your [the developer's] money between the time they collect it at point of sale and the 2 months later when they pay you (like a bank!). Come on Apple, employ more people - there's no excuse!!

cublah

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Apple witholds payment in any territory until it accumlates more than $250 before paying the developer. How many app developers will never be paid for royalties in certain territories?

Actually it's now $150 and they pay everyone at the end of the year over $50.

naco

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
LA area

Shame on you Apple.

Wow, what a brilliant idea. Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then, you will blame Apple for having a buggy piece of hardware. Brilliant!! Better yet, why not approve malicious software that could steal all of your personal information including recording your keystrokes loose into the market. BRILLIANT!!!!!

I blame the shame on you for not knowing how far ahead of you Apple is.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I have been waiting for this app since I read about it on their blog. I have a trillian astra pro license on my pc and I would love to have this on my iPhone. I currently use beejive, but astras interface looks so much better. I will buy it instantly unless it's free for existing astra pro license holders which would be awesome.

Hurry up Apple you bastard. At least Roboform for iPhone FINALLY came out a couple of days ago.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Wow, what a brilliant idea. Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then, you will blame Apple for having a buggy piece of hardware. Brilliant!! Better yet, why not approve malicious software that could steal all of your personal information including recording your keystrokes loose into the market. BRILLIANT!!!!!

I blame the shame on you for not knowing how far ahead of you Apple is.

OK, by your "logic", we may as well have an App Store for all Mac apps too. Then we can have a nice approval process where every app can be gauged on various attributes known to nobody but Apple. I bet everyone would love that!

Also the fact that the Google Android store does exactly what I stated and has had no significant problems whatsoever shows how incredibly uninformed that you are.

I'd happily settle for an unapproved part of the App Store that has a big warning that the apps are not checked for malicious behaviour or even the ability to distribute apps via the web without the 100 user ad-hoc limitation...

Why the hell have I had to wait 10 days so far without a single indication as to the status of my submission. It is ridiculous and incredibly poor from a company like Apple.

It amazes me how many of you Apple apologists (who are obviously not developers) defend the App Store approval process. The only people defending this should be the shareholder who make money through the Apple lock-in. Even then, if they alienate enough developers it will have a very negative impact on their bottom line. At least Microsoft doesn't ******* all over their developers!

guet

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2003
Lol underlined for terrible idea.
Anyway, this is a massive system with thousands of apps being submitted a week. There are bound to be apps that slip through the cracks.

No, it's a farce of a system, which regularly leads to developers' concerns being ignored, huge delays on app updates, huge delays on app submission, and is an embarrassment to Apple. They need to get rid of it, or at least fix the glaring problems with it.

The only thing that's slipping through the cracks is Apple's reputation for competence and well executed ideas. The rules are unclear, the decisions inconsistent, and the delays intolerable. Overall I can't imagine how the system could possibly be worse.

Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then,

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about - the approval system does not prevent bad apps (see the crapflood of Bible and Flashlight apps), does not prevent offensive apps (see the baby shaking app), and does not prevent malicious apps (see the app which sent users' phone nos to a central server recently). So what does it do exactly, apart from cause delays for users and heartache for developers?

Ever experienced submitting an app to Apple? If you had you wouldn't defend this system.

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
You obviously have absolutely no idea about professional software development.

At my current employer I have prototyped an iPhone client. We're a fairly large software house with products used internationally. What is holding up committing the resources to fully develop an iPhone application is the App Store approval process. We think that it will cost us approximately £50000 to get our application completed but there is no guarantee that Apple will allow it on the App Store. Do you think that I'm going to risk my job by recommending we go ahead with this?

I've also got my own (home developed) app awaiting approval at the moment. It's been 10 days and it still says the same thing: "Status: In Review." Great process isn't it?

that is a risk you take being a developer for this platform. It is not like they changed the rules on you half way thru development. You know the risks going into it. But that's not at all what i'm discussing.

I'm not saying their approval process is great at all. It may not even be good. but I do agree there should be some type of process in place and not just have a developer toss an app onto the store. The words "malicious code" come to mind :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.