Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:04 PM   #1
gfhoward
macrumors member

Help Me Speed Up my Mac Pro Internet Connection

Hey guys, just bought a Mac Pro Quad. Wondering if I can get an increase in internet speed by swapping out some components or cables. I don't know anything about benchmarking or speeding up internet, so treat me like a NooB. Here's my current set-up:

I use Time Warner cable internet
the cable goes from the wall to to the modem TW supplied
Modem is connected to a D-Link DI-604 Router via ethernet cable
Computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable

Thanks!
gfhoward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:47 PM   #2
lemonade-maker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfhoward View Post
Hey guys, just bought a Mac Pro Quad. Wondering if I can get an increase in internet speed by swapping out some components or cables. I don't know anything about benchmarking or speeding up internet, so treat me like a NooB. Here's my current set-up:

Thanks!
Try direct connect without the d-link router. Never liked any d-link stuff.
lemonade-maker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
psingh01
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thanks!
nope, that's about all you can do except pay for a faster tier service
psingh01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
goMac
macrumors 603

Nothing you can do besides buy faster internet.

Comcast brought me up to 30 megabits for $20 more a month. Been worth it so far. Thinking about paying another $20 to go to 50.

Some sites can't give me enough bandwidth to fill the 30 megabits, but most can so far.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:40 PM   #5
forester54
macrumors member

why do we have 2 internet ports on the back of the case? I just have one plugged in and have never really looked at the back for the res t
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
gugucom
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester54 View Post
why do we have 2 internet ports on the back of the case? I just have one plugged in and have never really looked at the back for the res t
You can use the other port for networking with other computers or with a time capsule.

BTW try to use another cable if your Gigabit link goes down to 100 Mbit/s. CAT6 cable will definitely avoid such issues. Obviously your router also has to support Gigabit ports. Check the spec of the D-Link. And finally your cable modem has to supply download in excess of 100 Mbit/s to lift the whole chain above 100Mbit/s.
gugucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:07 PM   #7
nanofrog
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psingh01 View Post
nope, that's about all you can do except pay for a faster tier service
This is all that can be done.

And it won't help if the system on the other end (or any other in the chain) is on a slower connection than yours or has a very high traffic level for the band it has access to.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:09 PM   #8
nanofrog
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugucom View Post
You can use the other port for networking with other computers or with a time capsule.

BTW try to use another cable if your Gigabit link goes down to 100 Mbit/s. CAT6 cable will definitely avoid such issues. Obviously your router also has to support Gigabit ports. Check the spec of the D-Link. And finally your cable modem has to supply download in excess of 100 Mbit/s to lift the whole chain above 100Mbit/s.
I'd be totally amazed if the ISP connection is anywhere near that though. Nor enough other traffic on the router to use that much band, let alone more, especially with a lack of further details.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:15 PM   #9
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
I'd be totally amazed if the ISP connection is anywhere near that though. Nor enough other traffic on the router to use that much band, let alone more, especially with a lack of further details.
My cable modem has a gigabit port and can in theory push over 100 megabits, but I don't know of any service that fast right now...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:16 PM   #10
gugucom
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, on second thought I realized that as well. It crossed my mind because I was puzzled by a slow speed between my MP and TC. That was the cable issue. Gigabyte files make you realize when the connection drops to 10% throughput.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:37 PM   #11
nanofrog
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
My cable modem has a gigabit port and can in theory push over 100 megabits, but I don't know of any service that fast right now...
Not in a residential areas in the US at least. Tesselator's using 80Mb/s in Japan though... I'm jealous.

[QUOTE=gugucom;8642853]Yeah, on second thought I realized that as well.[QUOTE]
ISP speeds in the US suck, and why I don't think much of on-demand services hear ATM. The infrastructure is too inadequate for the necessary bandwidth, even with the latest compression schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
Gigabyte files make you realize when the connection drops to 10% throughput.
For something this large, you would notice it. Can you team your ports to 2x the speed?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:45 PM   #12
gugucom
macrumors 68020

Quote:
For something this large, you would notice it. Can you team your ports to 2x the speed?
No idea, I just got the right cable and up it went again. I put my Winclone files on the 2 TB TC and got a bit curious why the Ethernet was slower than the WLAN.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:00 PM   #13
nanofrog
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugucom View Post
No idea, I just got the right cable and up it went again. I put my Winclone files on the 2 TB TC and got a bit curious why the Ethernet was slower than the WLAN.
Understandable.

I was just thinking, if you wanted to go past a TC (or have other devices that would benefit), that port teaming is a way of increasing throughputs at as little cost as possible (might actually be free, if what you have is capable). But say a NAS box for backups would be an example, so long as it supports teaming (MP too for that matter, but its a driver). You can DIY a NAX (or AoE, iSCSI) for very little funds compared to available products.

Just a thought.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Ace134blue
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My neighborhood.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:44 PM   #15
gfhoward
macrumors member

How do I check what internet speed I am currently getting? Is there a website you go to or something? The internet speeds at the Apple Store were awesome, so I asked them what they were running. They said wireless using a T3 cable off of a cable internet connection. What does T3 mean?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:14 AM   #16
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
How do I check what internet speed I am currently getting? Is there a website you go to or something? The internet speeds at the Apple Store were awesome, so I asked them what they were running. They said wireless using a T3 cable off of a cable internet connection. What does T3 mean?
T3 means they pay truckloads of money to the internet company every month. Usually you can't even get T3 in residential neighborhoods.

Your options for faster internet are changing your internet plans. There is no way to get faster internet for the amount your are currently playing on the same connection.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:18 AM   #17
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
T3 means they pay truckloads of money to the internet company every month. Usually you can't even get T3 in residential neighborhoods.

Your options for faster internet are changing your internet plans. There is no way to get faster internet for the amount your are currently playing on the same connection.
Sorry but you are mistaken. T3 = 45Mb/s. You can easily get that with U-Verse or FiOS. In NY you can even get beyond T3 speeds.

I do agree however with the fact that no matter how much you reconfigure the hardware your limit is going to be whatever you are paying...
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:24 AM   #18
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Sorry but you are mistaken. T3 = 45Mb/s. You can easily get that with U-Verse or FiOS. In NY you can even get beyond T3 speeds.
I was talking about the price of T3 specifically. I have 30 megabit at home, I'm aware of the high speed options.

T3 is more expensive because it is dedicated bandwidth.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:26 AM   #19
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
I was talking about the price of T3 specifically. I have 30 megabit at home, I'm aware of the high speed options.

T3 is more expensive because it is dedicated bandwidth.
Doesn't matter. You can get dedicated T3 lines....

linky...
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:39 AM   #20
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Doesn't matter. You can get dedicated T3 lines....
Meh. OC12 or bust.

Comcast has 50Mb speeds in my area now, for the low low price of more than double what I'm currently paying them. No thanks.

OP, you can go to Speedtest.net to test your connection. Chances are it's not even fast enough to max out a 802.11b wifi connection, if it's anything like typical U.S. broadband speeds.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:19 AM   #21
gfhoward
macrumors member

Speedtest is showing I have an download speed of 14.21 Mb/s. How am I doing?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:41 AM   #22
blacka4
macrumors regular

hehe I have FiOS at home and have like 30 down and 15 up. plenty fast for me. I worked for a school district that had a WAN setup between buildings running OC3 and the tunnel out was OC12..now that stuff was fast when you plugged directly in at the NOC. However the gigabit over fiber they where running between floors in the buildings and 100baseT over copper slowed everything down
blacka4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:03 AM   #23
dr. shdw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I do agree however with the fact that no matter how much you reconfigure the hardware your limit is going to be whatever you are paying...
You can't get T3 upload speeds though yet, 45mbits down and up. Plus it's like guaranteed 99.999% uptime or whatever.
dr. shdw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:05 AM   #24
dr. shdw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacka4 View Post
hehe I have FiOS at home and have like 30 down and 15 up. plenty fast for me. I worked for a school district that had a WAN setup between buildings running OC3 and the tunnel out was OC12..now that stuff was fast when you plugged directly in at the NOC. However the gigabit over fiber they where running between floors in the buildings and 100baseT over copper slowed everything down
How? Unless they had crappy switches, OC3 is only 150mbits/s~..
dr. shdw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:09 AM   #25
xlii
macrumors 68000

I just upgraded my 9 year old cable modem for a doscis 3.0 compliant modem. Via speedtest.net I was averaging 5 mbs with the old modem and 30 mbs with the new modem.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro