Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophie8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Hi!

I have an Ipod Shuffle 1 gb, actually I don't know which generation it is, but I bought it in January 2008. Since I am backpacking I want to travel with a small an light backpack ,so I bought a short usb-cable for my Ipod and left my docking station at home. I just plugged it in and I got the following message:
"Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your devices have been disabled. To prevent damaging from your computer, the USB Device drawing too much power has been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other usb devices will be enabled again. The cable felt very warm so I disconnected it.

I tried it again and it did appear in Itunes, but then I got the message again and it disapeared. But it does appear in Itunes.

I tried it several times again, and the message sometimes shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the times it does appear in Itunes, but never in Finder. In Finder it always shows up like one second when I just plug it in, but it disappears very quickly. I do see it in Itunes and I don't have problems with importing music to my Ipod Shuffle. But if the cable feels very warm, I don't see it in Itunes.

Do I really need the the docking station in order to use my Ipod? It won't harm my ipod while I am using the usb cable will it? I mean, if the cable doesn't feel warm. Or is there something wrong with the cable and should I just buy a new usb cable? I am in Thailand now and just checked the prices for the docking station, they charge 1500 Thai Baht for it! That's around 30 euro's!

Same for my ipod classic. I left the original apple cable at home and I am carrying another one. But my ipod classic does show up in Finder though, so I guess there's no problem with it.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. An update: it doesn't even want to appear in Itunes anymore...... So does Ipod Shuffle only works with the dock or should I replay the usb cable?

Mycatisbigfoot

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
well you have the second gereration, as its the one of the first ones with a clip, and I think you fryer you're ipod there with that cable, that cable was designed for the 3rd generation of the shuffle,it may work but I do not have a clue, the regular ipod cable has been the same for years, (just fire wire\USB Changes)

I have only one Docking cable for my regular ipods but I use the unversal dock tho,

if you take the dock get the box for the shuffle and put it in there, as the top ping can break

sophie8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Thanks for your reply! But I don't even use an apple cable, I just bought a cheap usb-cable in the computer store.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If you're able to use a standard USB cable at all, you must have a first-gen shuffle. all other shuffles have a non-standard USB cable that plugs into the headphone jack on one end and has a standard USB plug on the other.

Does yours look like a large white thumb drive with the play controls on the front? If so you really don't need a cable at all. You can try plugging the shuffle's plug directly into your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.