Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Keebler
macrumors 68030

17" Apple Studio Display goes green on my PM G5?

Hi Folks,

I have the 17" ASDisplay attached to my PM G4 MMD. It looks and works perfect. Love it. I use this machine for video capture so I don't need screen real estate.

Fast forward to yesterday - I ordered a new mac pro and need to connect it to my KVM switch which means I need to remove the G5 from that switch.

No biggee - I found another 17" ASDisplay. But i thought i better check with my own first before committing to buy.

It connects to the ACD side of the graphics card (nvidia Gfx 5200 or along that line - stock card for this model), but everything has a green due to it.

I thought about running a colour calibration, but I can unplug it and attach it to the my PMG4 and of course, it looks fine.

Any ideas on where the problem is????

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Dr.Pants
macrumors 65816

If your monitor works fine on the G4 and not the G5, then its the G5 that most likely has the issue. The graphics car is most likely boned on that port - check with another monitor that would attach to the DVI port to see if the card really is not-going-to-work. Maybe clean out dust in the card and try again - if it keeps giving you a green-screen, I would try and get a new graphics card for the G5.

Of course, this is assuming its a hardware issue. If you can pop in an OS CD and the machine is able to display the installer GUI, then its a driver issue, most likely.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs