Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newcourt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
The Netherlands
Dear board members,

I'm on the brink of buying the new iPod Nano but I have a question about it which I couldn't find directly using the search engine so I try it here.

How does the FM single keep up in the house? I have a B&W iPod dock and I was wondering if I could dock the iPod Nano in there and listen to clear FM radio (not the sports game when they are on)

Does this work or is the signal to weak to carry true the walls of the house.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

Note: We do not have a Apple Store in the Netherlands so I went to one of the Apple Retail Stores and they didn't have the new iPod's in yet and wouldn't guarantee me if it would work.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
That actually is kinda dumb. So they headphone is like the antenna or it just needs to be plugged in?

Yes, and yes. The headphone is the physical antenna; there is no internal FM antenna in the nano. When you activate the FM Radio function, the nano checks to see if something is plugged into the headphone jack. If it is, then the nano assumes that whatever is in the jack will serve as the antenna. If not, the FM Radio function exits.

Unfortunately, the Dock Connector cannot serve as an alternate path for the FM antenna; there must be something plugged into the headphone jack.

You might "defeat" the check by plugging something into the headphone jack while docked (I haven't tried this myself, so Your Mileage May Vary), but unless that something is long enough to carry FM radio waves, the reception is going to suffer, especially inside the house.

Newcourt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
The Netherlands
Okay thanks. I'm going to wait until a reseller has in here in The Netherlands and then I'm going to try some stuff out.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.