Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
kylenormandin
macrumors newbie

Photoshop "Unable to save due to program error"

Hey guys,

Thanks again in advance.

I'm currently using Adobe Photoshop CS3 and run into the same problem once or twice a week. When I go to save a file I've been working on it will state something to the effect of "Photoshop cannot save [filename] due to a program error." From there, it wont allow me to save to the same hard drive that the original file is from, but I can save to another hard-drive. Also, once I reset the preferences (Shift+Option+Command upon start up) it works fine for a few days, then does it again. I just want to know if anyone can fill me in as to why this would keep happening.
I read something about how you should not keep your photoshop scratch disk on the same hard-drive as your boot disk, which mine is, but it was never a problem until a month or so ago.

Thank you,

Kyle Normandin
kylenormandin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
jdl8422
macrumors 6502

I've had it happen to me a few times. Its not often but has happened. I would try and reinstall Photoshop. I dont know how your machine is set up, but I had the problem alot when I took over my job. The previous guy took the HD and partitioned it into 3 different partitions. He had his main hard drive, apps, and scratch. Half the programs were on the main partition and half were on the apps partition. I installed a new HD and reinstalled photoshop and it has been working better for me.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:07 PM   #3
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

I've had this issue before I think it's when Photoshop "think" a version of the file is already open by another process thus not allowing you to save.

I've found opening then closing the file in Preview while your PSD is still open in Photoshop usually works.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:10 AM   #4
kylenormandin
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'll just try re-installing.
kylenormandin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

This used to happen on one of our work machines; it turned out to be a permissions problem.

Setting permissions

Ensuring that the drive or the partition that you're writing to is set to both read and write for all relevant accounts is also something that's worth checking, just in case.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

I repair permissions on my boot disk, and the problem goes away. I don't why, but it works every time for me.

I have my scratch disk set to a different drive.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Cel
macrumors newbie

Photoshop program error, cannot save file

This happens to me regularly - I process up to 100 images a day for a newspaper. I was hoping to find out why this happens, but I can at least share my workaround. Select all, copy, command N, paste, flatten, go to the unsavable file and copy the name, go to your new, Untitled file, command shift Save and paste the name. Then it saves just fine. A pain, but it works.
Cel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics