Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I have a Powerbook G4 with what I believe is a graphics card problem: the display is covered with ASCII symbols on startup, and the problem gets worse as you move the mouse around.

I don't know what happened to the original install disks that came with the computer, so I'm looking for the best way to remove data from the HD before I sell it.

Target Disk Mode? Other good ideas?

eatbacon

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Target disk mode is your best bet as long as you have another mac around. Only other real option I see is removing the hard drive and using an external enclosure and IIRC with older powerbooks, this is a PITA.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're having GPU issues, I don't think wiping the system and reinstalling the OS will help you.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If you're having GPU issues, I don't think wiping the system and reinstalling the OS will help you.
I draw your attention to the OPs original comment:

I don't know what happened to the original install disks that came with the computer, so I'm looking for the best way to remove data from the HD before I sell it.
I highlighted some text since you missed it on the first go. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.