Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanrattycom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
I have seen 4GB of RAM from Crucial for a new MDP 13". Now, when I install it, will I have 6GB or 4GB? The mac comes with 2GB but will I have to get rid of them to install the 4GB? or can I keep them and have 6GB?

I'm sorry if this seems very duh. But I want to know. thank you.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
you have 2 slots

right now, i bet it has 2 1 gig sticks

if you get 2 2 gig sticks, you will have 4 gigs total

now, depending on your mbp model, you could get a 4 gig and 2 gig stick for 6 gigs or even 2 4 gig sticks. however, 4 gig sticks are pretty prciy compared to 2 gig sticks

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
right now, i bet it has 2 1 gig sticks
That should be a safe bet. Apple usually installs matching numbered pairs. It's usually cheaper that way instead of buying one large RAM stick.

Hanrattycom if you want to know for sure then go to the apple symbol in your menu (top left corner) and select About This Mac. You then click on the More Info button and then select Memory. That will tell you exactly what type of memory you have and it will tell you the size and how many of them you have.

Needless to say make sure you buy the right type of RAM. A lot of RAM problems come from people buying the wrong type or not placing it in properly. Other than that RAM is very easy to upgrade.

vexatia

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
I have seen 4GB of RAM from Crucial for a new MDP 13". Now, when I install it, will I have 6GB or 4GB? The mac comes with 2GB but will I have to get rid of them to install the 4GB? or can I keep them and have 6GB?

I'm sorry if this seems very duh. But I want to know. thank you.

4GB

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
5Gb.

Buy one 4Gb stick. Remove one 1Gb stick. Insert one 4Gb stick.

More badboy bang for your buck. :cool:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The difference between 5GB and 4GB is usually not a problem.
4GB sticks costs alot more than 2x 2GB.
So i'd buy 2x2GB now and get 2x4GB in a year or so, when price has dropped (if you need that much)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.