Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
Due to my powerbook g4 being an old machine now, some of the latest yotube/gametrailers videos lag significantly, however, the strange thing is when I download the videos from game trailers, and run them through quicktime, they run crystal clear. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
The old fix was downgrading FlashPlayer but now YouTube and a lot of other sites demand the newest FlashPlayer. Too bad for G4 owners since it is horrid and in my opinion unusable. In short, it's not your machine.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
ah well at least its not my machine, just lazy adobe, do you know that link for that pettiton? i wanna sign it right away, thanks for the advice guys, it's well admired

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Why hasn't anything been done about this yet?

And does Adobe even make any money off of Flash?

Of course they do. But not from the Flash Player, it's the Flash application used to build Flash stuff that brings in the cash.

Adobe doesn't seem to have much in the way of competent Mac coders these days considering how ****** their Creative Suite package has become and how un-Mac-like it works.

I seriously can't wait till HTML5 is in a good enough condition (good browser support and performance) to fully replace Flash video.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I am fully 100% in the same boat as you, OP. My PowerBook can't play Flash videos for crap. Everything else runs great, but flash just sucks. I remember the eMacs at the school where I used to teach playing YouTube videos just fine - they were 1.25GHz and 512MB of RAM - so my PowerBook should play at least at that level. The problem is that was three years ago and flash itself has changed considerably for the worse.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
well it's nice to know that I'm not alone on this topic, does anyone have a date when html 5 comes out?

Safari can be already used for HTML5 video in YouTube but not anywhere else. Of course the various video etc services will have to move to using HTML5 first so I wouldn't expect widespread use for at least a few years.

Firefox doesn't do HTML5 video yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.