Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
Hello all,

After purchasing my new iBook about two weeks ago, which I love, I have come to a crossroads: storage. There is very little room on here to play around with, especially for the minor video editing I might be doing the next month. So, as new iPods premier today, my friend has made a 150$ dollar offer for my current, 10GB 3G iPod. I will, of course, accept to get a new iPod, but here is where the problem arises: which size model?

If I splurge on the 40GB, I'll be able to fit plenty of music and back up files on the disc, but I'll be limited to far less than maximum music with the 30gb iBook HD. So if I get the 20GB I can fit plenty of music on it and still have some left over cash for a firewire hard disc, prefarably a small, cheap portable model. Its a difficult decision though as I already have a dock in the altec lansing iPod speakers (which are great by the way) so thats no bonus on the 40. I just don't know what to do.

If anyone has any reccomendations on what will be the cheapest, most efficient way, or hard drives they would reccomend that would be great. I'm on a limted budget due to my entrance into Boston College next year. Thanks for the advice.

Gregory M. White

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
less is more

there's something to be said for that wonderful thing which is sometimes referred to as "owning less stuff." having to swap files around between computer, iPod, and external FW drive is going to be annoying. if you have to take all three to a certain location to be able to listen to music, edit video, and run your apps, the portability factor of laptop + iPod is reduced somewhat.

i am in the same position as you (except that i don't have to edit a video next month). instead of building my own portable FW drive with a 2.5" drive enclosure and an 80 GB Toshiba drive, i will wait for the new 60 GB iPod. i could probably fit all my music on the 40 GB version, so the 60 GB iPod will also provide some space for temporary backups (i do all my permanent backups to DVD). the price drop is in your favor. if you can wait (and it's always advantageous to wait, as far as gear is concerned), hold out for the 60 GB version and you'll have plenty of room as your music collection (and video work) becomes more extensive. if you get really into video work, you will soon find that none of these options will do, and you'll probably end up buying something like a Lacie Big Disk!

it seems like a quandry, but just think of that guy that bought 40 iPods, and you'll feel better about this situation.

just FYI, i have a friend that lives in Allston, MA... about five minutes from Boston College. PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
Thanks for the excellent reply. Thats the direction I seem to be leaning. Simplification seems to be the best idea for the college environment. I have no need for a 60GB model though, with only 9GBs of music right now and no desire to increase it by "immoral means." My only decision lies in whether or not the 20 will be suitable right now for dv work, suitable enough that I could save a substantial ammount of cash since I wont need the extra storage in the immediate future. I do think I'll go for the 20 though, just because its easier to add a drive in the future at a cheap price than to shell out a bunch of cash upfront for something I might use for a week. And the holidays are right around the corner, right?

PS: Thanks for the BC help offer. You might be receiving a PM soon.

Gregory M. White

Briguymaine

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2003
Maine
Go to Duke, they are giving away iPods! Now, as a video guy, I too have asked this same question. Even if you are editing DV, the 10GB or so that you are allocating to your project will be gone *poof* with very little footage to work with. Remember that all video editing progs make render files and you will need space to output and convert to dvd if that is the way you are going. I'd go with the 20GB ipod and another small firewire drive from OWC, 40GB drive for $139.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hey there...so anyway, I would without a doubt say get the 20 gig and then get an OtherWorldComputing FW drive. They are excellent and quite affordable. WHile the ipod works as a FW HD, I wouldn't recommend it for regular backup. If you're doing any video editing, you NEED an external HD for real time editing. BTW, have you ever waited for 20 gigs of pro tools files to transfer to your ipod? Get the Firewire drive- just make sure it's 7200 RPM and it would be nice to get one with the oxford chipset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.