Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I have some video I shot with a pro camera for a TV broadcasting class, that I wanted to practice editing on my MBP in iMovie to get all my cuts figured out before my allotted studio (we have to do our edit tapes manually on machines for the beginner class).

However, when I import the video from the Elura into iMovie, the white balance is completely off and is way too cool. If you watch the video directly on the camera (and on the pro camera used to record it), it is correctly calibrated (I manually set the white balance on the day I shot it).

Has anybody ever seen such an issue when importing from a Canon DV cam? Or know of something I can check?

Thanks! Dan

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Is your screen calibrated correctly?

Did you record in NTSC or PAL and which settings did you use in iMovie?

Also have you tried another tape for digesting it into iMovie?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I have some video I shot with a pro camera for a TV broadcasting class, that I wanted to practice editing on my MBP in iMovie to get all my cuts figured out before my allotted studio (we have to do our edit tapes manually on machines for the beginner class).

However, when I import the video from the Elura into iMovie, the white balance is completely off and is way too cool. If you watch the video directly on the camera (and on the pro camera used to record it), it is correctly calibrated (I manually set the white balance on the day I shot it).

Has anybody ever seen such an issue when importing from a Canon DV cam? Or know of something I can check?

Thanks! Dan

My guess is your color temperature of you display.

sRGB == 6500K. Most monitors= 9300K default.

Oh an one more thing...I know this sounds dumb but, have you seen the footage on another system to make sure the white balance wasn't off when you recorded it? ( or are you saying it looks fine on the in-camera lcd screen? )

danimal99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Yes, it looked fine on both my DV cam's screen, and on the Panasonic cam that it was recorded on. The only place it looked like the wrong WB was when I imprted it into iMovie.

My display is a MacBook Pro 13", mid 2009 model. While I haven't calibrated it, I can tell it's at least close to what it should be if not just right. The imported video is off by a LOT. Not just a calibration issue either, I mean the color balance of the video is way off. If you were to eyedropper an area that should be white, it would come back blue.

The last video I imported was shot with my Elura and it looked fine when I imported. It seems to just be this video that was shot with the Panny camera that's screwy.

And when I edited it on the machines at school, the video was colored exactly how I would expect.

I dunno, I guess maybe there could be some issue reading a DV tape made on another camera.

nikijitu

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Nikijitu

Canon site has updates for Canon Elura 100 driver for Mac OS as late as Dec 10, 2010. Have you tried them? Try this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...inidv_camcorders/elura_100#DriversAndSoftware
BTW, you are one step ahead of every one so far I have read. All of the forums/discussions have problem with Canon Elura 100 getting recognized by MacBookPro (13, etc.) either for movie or for pictures! The camera doesn't show up under 'devices'. clicking camera icon of iMovie to import video from Elura (after firewiring), nothing happens - but built-in camera view of top of my head is seen. My software CD is broke before I could download to my MacBookPro13. Canon has only updates which if you try to download is asking for CD! Can You Copy yours and sell it me? Since it is not available anywhere and Canon has declared 'No support for Mac OS X for Elura100'!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.