Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoulton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I've read all of the other threads, but no one seems to know - are the Superdrives in the latest G5 revisions Pioneers? If so, are they 106D's (like the original G5's) or 107's? I have a new Dual 2.0gHz and I want to try and find compatible DVD-R media that can write at 8x, but it's a jungle out there trying to find the right media.

When I open my system profiler it has a bizarre code and no brand name/model as I'm used to seeing - hence my question.

And no, I don't want to buy the crazy overpriced Apple 8x media.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Wow - odd that System Profiler gives you something weird. When I check mine ('old' dual 2.0), under the ATA section, I get "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D".

I'm pretty sure the new G5's use the 107, as you said, but the old ones definitely used Pioneers.

Of course, it's 2 minute's work to take off the side cover and check....

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
I've just checked the System Profiler of my rev. B Dual 2.0Ghz, and it states the following:

"PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D"

Hope this helps.

amoulton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I should have just done this in the first place - but I pulled the drive out and it's an LG GMA-4082B. Strange that some people are getting this drive and some are getting the Pioneer!?

This helps a little - now I'm able to know the specs of the drive, but I'm still confused about what 8x dvd-r's are compatible. Has anyone done any tests with 8x DVD-R media with their new (rev. B) G5?

locopano

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Melbourne
Hey i know this thread isnt about my question but....

i was wondering.. i want to buy a new G5.. remove the Superdrive option and have it shipped with a combo..

then i want to install a newer superdive a few months down the track...

Firstly is there a previous forum on this???

secondly will it void my warranty.
thirdly will it work? has it worked.?? anyone know of anyone with personal experience...

i dont mind having to add some patches etc..
im just worried about the warranty..

Thanks!

Zaphryon

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D

The title is what system profiler says my drive is. I have a Dual G5 2.5 GHz liquid cooled system.

I was wondering though, at what speed will this drive rewrite DVDs at? I want to go and buy media but I don't know if I should get the 4x RW or the 2x RW.

Thanks.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I have a Rev A G5 and I did get the 107-D allso

I don't use DVD-RW's yet, but as far as I know its a 4x drive for RW (and 8x for R off course...)

just check with Pioneer on their website... its allso a -/+ drive, and there is a firmware 'somwhere' wich would allow to burn even the new DualLayer +R DVD format... but its not official firmware so your warranty would be void...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.