Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lookout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
I'd like to give an iPod touch to my folks as a gift. The tricky part is I'd like to pre-install some music and apps before I send it to them. We do not live in the same town so I would not be available to continue updating for them. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is but have been poking around the forums so have a couple of halfbaked ideas....

Option 1) use my itunes account and just sync the new ipod with a bunch of stuff that I want to give them. But won't these items disappear as soon as they set up their own itunes account and sync their ipod there?

Option 2) Authorize their computer with my itunes account and do as this article http://allforces.com/2008/07/22/share-apps-between-iphones/ states, although from the last comment it may no longer work. Plus do I really want my folks to have access to everything I have?

Option 3) Set up a separate itunes account for them on my computer. Then when I give them the ipod, give them the details of the account and help them set it up on their computer. This would presumably load all the previously purchased material onto their computer?. Otherwise how do I get the material already purchased onto their computer so they don't loose it with the next sync? (I'm a mac, they're pc-xp). Also, can the account details be changed to their info later?

Option 4) Use the 'gift this item' option. But how do I give it to them when they don't already have an itunes account? & quite frankly, if I'm not there to set up the account they may just never get around to it. Then they've got no music and just the basic apps -- a spendy paperweight as it were.

Option 5) I'm making this a lot more complicated than it really is because all I really need to do is ..... ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.