Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Two years ago I was dying to get into the Mac world so I dipped my toe in with an iBook G3, bought off of eBay. I did absolutely no research on it prior to purchase, which was stupid, but it arrived and I loved my Mac. My sister became very jealous and decided to get the same $300 model. After around 4 months of her using hers it died. Being the wonderful brother I am :)p) I gave her mine and saved up for a new MacBook. Hers then died 3 months later.

So I've got two $300 paperweights that have been sitting in my garage forver. The specs (if I remember correctly) are:

600Mhz
256MB RAM
12",G3
White, non-clamshell
Dual USB
Combo Drive
20GB HD

Tomorrow I'm going to take my old one out and hopefully fix the logic board issue. I don't know if I'll be ready by tomorrow, but I've seen various ways to fix it, the easiest being put a metal piece under it. If I can take it all apart, fix the logic board issue then put it back together, my plans are:

-Clean outer casing thoroughly then spray paint Black
-Change Apple logo color to Green
-Max out RAM, HD, change to a superdrive
-Load up best OS I can get my hands on

I'm very excited for this. The biggest computer related thing I've done was probably upgrading RAM in my MacBook but I've got iFixit guides and two iBooks to go around!

Wish me luck!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've just got Tiger 10.4.11 and Word/Excel 2008 running on my 466MHz iBook G3 clamshell with a 10GB HDD and 320MB RAM so your much faster version when it's put together shouldn't have any issues.

My clamshell even plays DVDs, apparently it takes te removal of 40 screws in this thing to upgrade the HDD so that's not going to happen.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I've just got Tiger 10.4.11 and Word/Excel 2008 running on my 466MHz iBook G3 clamshell with a 10GB HDD and 320MB RAM so your much faster version when it's put together shouldn't have any issues.

My clamshell even plays DVDs, apparently it takes te removal of 40 screws in this thing to upgrade the HDD so that's not going to happen.

Good lord!! 40 screws??? I thought the ibooks were bad...

Good luck with your project! I just finished my ibook g4 project for my gf and its rewarding when your done. :)

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California

My clamshell even plays DVDs, apparently it takes te removal of 40 screws in this thing to upgrade the HDD so that's not going to happen.[/QUit's

It's not that hard to upgrade your HD,I have 4 clamshells I take apart all the way several times,I have one right now that was just a empty case this morning and now the Mobo,HD,and other things are mounted and screwed down in the bottom half of the case.It's my test Clamshell so ya,But I have 4 of them and i've taken them all apart about 10 times each,and I built all of them from the Mobo up.ifixit has good directions to show you how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.