Buying - pickup at store - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:09 AM   #1
lhkeeper
macrumors newbie

Buying - pickup at store

Hello everyone, I want to ask you how reliably is to buy before and pickup at store??

I'm travelling to Miami in a few months, and my intention is to buy a Macbook Pro and pickup at store. But I'm afraid that my Mac arrives after I left Miami.

żDo you know if it is possible to buy 3 weeks before, so the store can keep my Mac during 2 or more weeks, until I arrive there?

Thanks.
lhkeeper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:50 AM   #2
deeddawg
macrumors 601

What config are you ordering? If it's something typically carried in stock then no worries, otherwise as the time for your trip approaches do mock orders and see what the ordering system claims to be the expected availability.

I've ordered refurb items (including a mini and a MBA) several times and Apple has always beat the projected availability date by several days. Once your order arrives at the store you have a few days to pick it up; three weeks might be stretching it though. I'd place my order when the ordering system projected an availability date three or four days before your arrival.

Have you considered calling the Apple store in question and discussing it with them also?
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhkeeper View Post
żDo you know if it is possible to buy 3 weeks before, so the store can keep my Mac during 2 or more weeks, until I arrive there?

Thanks.
I was out of town once and did a custom MBA order for pickup at store and a few days after it arrived at the store I got an email saying they would send it back if I did not pick it up. I just called the store and explained I would not be in town for another week and they held it for me.

TL;dr Call the store and they will hold it for you.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Kryckter
macrumors 6502

I would call the store when you are about to order or right after you do. They will work with you and get it figured out!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:21 AM   #5
lhkeeper
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
What config are you ordering?
The main difference in my order would be the keyboard (Western). 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. 2.4 GHz and 8 GB of RAM Memory.

So, if I would be in Miami about October 23, it's recommended to order it three or four days before the date that appears in the estimated arrival date?
Something like that?
lhkeeper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:25 PM   #6
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Yeah, I'd guess your config may not be sitting on the shelf in the store. Still should be pretty quick to obtain. If I were to order one today, Apple claims it'd be available for pick up on July 2nd, and based on prior experience it'd probably actually be ready by the end of this week.

So if you'll be in Miami about October 23, double-check order-to-pick-up estimates about three weeks before. If it seems to estimate ten calendar days, then place your order on October 10th or 11th. If it does arrive before you get there they'll hold it for at least a week even if you don't contact them; a simple phone call however should ensure they'll hold it until you get there provided it's not a month later.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice