Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Guardsix
macrumors member

Macbook Pro, 15", Early-2011

I'm not trying to make a deal on MacRumors. I just need some candid pricing suggestions.

As above with these specs:
Hi-res glossy display
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
2 Graphics cards: Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB
Backlit Keyboard

I moved the 500GB 7,200 rpm original hard drive to the optical drive location. I inserted a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD in place of the hard drive.

I've also upgraded the memory to 8GB, again using Crucial memory.

I've included an Apple USB SuperDrive as part of the deal. The battery was replaced in 2013.

All of these mods are normal user doable changes.

This is a very nice machine. It has been well taken care of with no visible stuffing or marks.

What would you ask for this? Thanks for your opinion!
Guardsix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:52 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Guardsix
macrumors member

The problem is that I have a custom configuration that is not listed on any site. At Mac2Sell I was quoted a price of $1250, yet at Gazelle I got a quote of $456.

Something is definitely screwy. I will just list for what I think I need.

Last edited by Guardsix; Dec 4, 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 02:54 AM   #4
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I'd be surprised if you got more than 800 for it (sterling not dollars). Plus that model supports lower RAM speed and has an issue with the graphics cards. They're nowhere near as desirable as the 15" 2012 cMBP. Even those aren't selling for much these days.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 04:53 AM   #5
dollystereo
macrumors 6502a

I have the same machine, it is a time bomb. (Radeongate)
If it is working great, just keep it. It's difficult to sell, and it is a very performing machine. It's faster than the fastest mac mini, and between this machine and a 2014 retina MBP there is not much difference in computing power.
Keep it until it dies.
The upgrades don't add much value, I would say maybe $100.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardsix View Post
I moved the 500GB 7,200 rpm original hard drive to the optical drive location. I inserted a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD in place of the hard drive.
Are you sure it is not a 750GB HD? or maybe 512MB of video (HD6490)?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:02 AM   #6
qunsuiday
macrumors newbie

They're nowhere near as desirable as the 15" 2012 cMBP. Even those aren't selling for much these days.[img]http://********/f083[/img]
qunsuiday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Ask $800, accept anything over $600, if you get an offer for even that much.

Radeongate awareness exists in the used market, and the 2011 models have cratered price-wise, upgrades or not.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Guardsix
macrumors member

Thanks for the Replies!

Great! This is what I wanted to here. I really didn't want to sell my MacBook Pro anyway. It's working just great and probably will for quite a long time yet.

I haven't seen any kind of graphics glitches and I do play some games on this machine. I am aware of Apple ignoring all the other Early 2011 graphics card failures but this one seems to be one of the better one.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:01 PM   #9
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
The problem is that I have a custom configuration that is not listed on any site. At Mac2Sell I was quoted a price of $1250, yet at Gazelle I got a quote of $456.

Something is definitely screwy. I will just list for what I think I need.
Mac2Sell is terrible in my experience. Apple used to sell those refurbished starting around $1200 with a year warranty, so that pricing isn't likely to be accurate. Gazelle is a reseller, so their quotes have to be lower than market value. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Quote:
Great! This is what I wanted to here. I really didn't want to sell my MacBook Pro anyway. It's working just great and probably will for quite a long time yet.

I haven't seen any kind of graphics glitches and I do play some games on this machine. I am aware of Apple ignoring all the other Early 2011 graphics card failures but this one seems to be one of the better one.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Mine (17 early 2011) died with no warning, so never make assumptions. I hope you have better luck.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Guardsix
macrumors member

Moderator, Please Close Thread

Served it's usefulness.

Thanks

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice