Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
Hi! I recently acquired a Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" with a VST 250 Zip drive module. I am having problems with it. I am running OS 8.6 and have installed the iomega ware for classic on it (I believe the driver is 6.2.3). The drive will power on when I insert the drive. The drive is recognized by the Iomega Tools but will not recognize when a disk is inserted. The drive does not even try to spin up when a disk is inserted. Iomega tools says no disk is inserted. The only way to eject the disk is to put a paperclip in the "emergency eject" hole.

If I leave the disk in the drive and then restart the computer, the drive ejects the disk.

Any ideas?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Sounds like either a bad drive or a bad disk. While I never had a zip drive myself, I heard they were nothing but problems, and the disk life wasn't that good in comparison to floppies.

If it does the same to multiple disks, then it's a good possibility that the drive itself is bad.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The Zip drive is kaput. That sounds like precisely the symptoms I had with every Zip drive I ever owned after a couple of months. The drive seems to work, but won't read disks.

Check ebay for a cheap external Zip drive if you have files to recover, otherwise just forget the Zip drive and get a decent flash drive.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
Thanks all for the replies. Yes that was my thinking too that the drive was bad. I just wondered why the drive didnt even attempt to read the disk, and it could actually eject the disk upon startup.

I have contacted the seller (bought through ebay) and he has an extra zip drive which he will be sending out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.