Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spinach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
On my laptop I went to the itunes store and searched for ringtones. Found hundreds of ringtone albums. I bought a few individual ringtones and planned to sync them with my iPhone.

They do not appear under the ringtone tab when I sync my iphone. They do appear in the music library.

1)Shouldn't they appear directly as ringtones?

2) Do I now have to go to my music library and create a ringtone using the "ringtones" i purchased?

3).....and when I tried that method there was a "purchase" button instead of a "create" button meaning I would have to purchase again?(I canceled the creation)

4)Are theses real ringtones or songs that are erroneously labeled as ringtones?

WTF!! this should be simple....purchse ringtone, sync, done.

Spinach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Apparently you have to create the ringtone after you have bought it from itunes.

It downloads as a song. Then right click it in library and create ringtone. The create button says "buy", but I don't think it charges you a second time if you already purcased it from itunes.(at least I hope)

Also, on the iphone:When you open settings<sounds<ringtones...you need to scroll up to see the custom ringtones that you created.

Done.

Spinach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
To create ringtones, you must purchase a ringtone-eligible song, create a ringtone from it, and then purchase the ringtone. The ringtone purchase is separate from the original song purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.