Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Can anyone please explain about the dual layer 8.5 GB DVD ??
Can I play with normal DVD player?
What's the best way for my iBook if i wanna get one ??

Thankx

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Ok, lets review the terms:

DVD-R (the standard ones for superdrives) - 4.7GB
DVD that you buy at the store (an actual holywood movie) - 8.5GB (already Dual layered
Dual Layered DVD-R - 8.5GB

So yes of coures your DVD player can play Dual layered DVD's it already has!
I am quite sure there are no notebook Dual Layered DVD burners out there yet but if you already have a single layered superdrive it is rumored that you might be able to get a firmware hack somewhere in the future to make it support dual layered. Also you need special Dual Layered discs to burn and those wont be out until later this summer I think and they will retail for $20. So dual layered is nice because you can hold a long movie but is way to expensive if you don't really need that much space.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
It's easy to notice the layer change on a non-progressive scan DVD player when watching a movie. There will be a pause for a brief second or so and then things continue. In Matrix Reloaded happens just after the staircase fight and Neo opens the door to the mountains.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
osprey76 said:
It's easy to notice the layer change on a non-progressive scan DVD player when watching a movie. There will be a pause for a brief second or so and then things continue. In Matrix Reloaded happens just after the staircase fight and Neo opens the door to the mountains.

What does it have to do with whether its a progressive scan DVD player or not? Progressive scan means is displays the lines in order, instead of every other line, like interlaced. Some DVD players might be better at handling the layer change, and some not, but that doesn't mean all progressive scan DVD players handle the layer change flawlessly.

And for the record, there are not any dual layer DVD-R media, only DVD+R media at the moment, becase the consumer dual layer burners can only burn dual layer on DVD+R

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
ChrisFromCanada said:
Ok, lets review the terms:

DVD-R (the standard ones for superdrives) - 4.7GB
DVD that you buy at the store (an actual holywood movie) - 8.5GB (already Dual layered
Dual Layered DVD-R - 8.5GB

So yes of coures your DVD player can play Dual layered DVD's it already has!
I am quite sure there are no notebook Dual Layered DVD burners out there yet but if you already have a single layered superdrive it is rumored that you might be able to get a firmware hack somewhere in the future to make it support dual layered. Also you need special Dual Layered discs to burn and those wont be out until later this summer I think and they will retail for $20. So dual layered is nice because you can hold a long movie but is way to expensive if you don't really need that much space.

Dual layer DVD+R discs are already out:

http://www.taperesources-store.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=VPD-VA&dept=104

They are 15 bucks each.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Actually, the chances of your DVD player being able to play them is not very good. See this article that shows that Dual Layer Discs play in only about 60% of DVD Players. That may be improved as the technology matures, but is certainly not encouraging.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
ChrisFromCanada said:
Hmm I'm wrong you are right but someone showed me a link to dual layered DVD-R and it said that it would be coming out in august maybe it was wrong but anyway to the origional poster that is the idea

Oh no, you are probably correct, I was just stating that DVD+R DL is here now, and that is what most people are talking about right now. DVD-R Dual layer is probably on the way as you say, but I don't know when, and haven't heard or read anything except for what you mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.