Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Hi guys, having worked all summer long, i got a few duckets that i would feel better to put towards the apple stock. I was wondering what financial company people have used to buy stock online. I have done some research but would love some input from fellow stock owners. Thanks for your time in advance. Lloyd

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I used to use etrade, but a Canadian bank bought out the Canadian version. I think there is still a etrade in the states.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't buy Apple right now. Sure, it's a great company, but trading at all time high right now, it's not worth it.

Just remember buy low, sell high and don't put all your eggs into one basket. ;)

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I was just thinking this same thing. It sucks that it takes money to make money when you don't start off with much in the first place:(

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
I used to use etrade, but a Canadian bank bought out the Canadian version. I think there is still a etrade in the states.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't buy Apple right now. Sure, it's a great company, but trading at all time high right now, it's not worth it.

Just remember buy low, sell high and don't put all your eggs into one basket. ;)

I realize its a terrible time to buy since it just went up close to 10 dollars today. But as Forrest Gump says, Sh*t happens. I was thinking of this as a long term investment. Would love to see a return on it obviously, but time is on my side, I dont see it going down considerably. Does etrade charge you any money for just sitting on the stock.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I realize its a terrible time to buy since it just went up close to 10 dollars today. But as Forrest Gump says, Sh*t happens. I was thinking of this as a long term investment. Would love to see a return on it obviously, but time is on my side, I dont see it going down considerably. Does etrade charge you any money for just sitting on the stock.

It was $20/trade, nothing else, I don't know about now. It's one of the cheapest ones out there. Most Canadian banks charge over $30 for online trades.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ok well E-Trade is now Scotia iTrade in Canada.

Trades are $19.99 for stocks... you have to pay that when you buy AND sell a stock.

Questtrade is also pretty cheap I've seen but not as reliable apparently.

Personally I use Scotia iTrade.

As someone said, Apple stock is pretty high right now. I would wait until it takes a dip before buying into it. Think about if you bought it now and it dropped to $120 or so like it did earlier. Gotta have patience with these things. What if something happened to Steve Jobs? There goes your money! :p

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Should have bought it when it was trading at $80/share like someone I know. :rolleyes:

Ouch that stung. I would have bought it at 80/share but the funds were low at that time.

Its so hard to tell when its going to go down. Ive been watching it lately and it seems to only move down a few dollars here and there, nothing to considerable, i think. Ill look into the etrade and see if they are different from canada and us. i doubt it but ill find out. how could you say anything happening to steve jobs. if something did happen to him, apple stock and the company will lose major money. I was thinking with the holiday shopping season to start, it was only going to improve the stock. I for one already plan on buying a 24 ACD as well as another macbook pro for my father. The stock market is so hard to understand, why cant it be easy Lloyd

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ouch that stung. I would have bought it at 80/share but the funds were low at that time.

Its so hard to tell when its going to go down. Ive been watching it lately and it seems to only move down a few dollars here and there, nothing to considerable, i think. Ill look into the etrade and see if they are different from canada and us. i doubt it but ill find out. how could you say anything happening to steve jobs. if something did happen to him, apple stock and the company will lose major money. I was thinking with the holiday shopping season to start, it was only going to improve the stock. I for one already plan on buying a 24 ACD as well as another macbook pro for my father. The stock market is so hard to understand, why cant it be easy Lloyd

Because of Steve Jobs became ill again or passed away then the stock price would drop significantly since a lot of people see Steve Jobs as the reason for Apple's success and growth.

If investing was easy, everybody would be doing it, and everybody would be broke. Minimize your risks.

Generally stock prices account for events 1 to 2 months in the future. That is, people know that holiday shopping is going to be making a lot of money for Apple. The stock price probably already reflects that. Same reason why when Apple comes up with a rumoured product the price could increase, but when the product actually comes out, the price may drop because people are disappointed etc etc.

Buy on rumours, sell on news.

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Because of Steve Jobs became ill again or passed away then the stock price would drop significantly since a lot of people see Steve Jobs as the reason for Apple's success and growth.

If investing was easy, everybody would be doing it, and everybody would be broke. Minimize your risks.

Generally stock prices account for events 1 to 2 months in the future. That is, people know that holiday shopping is going to be making a lot of money for Apple. The stock price probably already reflects that. Same reason why when Apple comes up with a rumoured product the price could increase, but when the product actually comes out, the price may drop because people are disappointed etc etc.

Buy on rumours, sell on news.

So what you are saying is that i missed the boat on this holiday season and should wait til the january mac world. this thread really gave me a few good ideas and has started the wheels to start turning in my head about what to do. Steve Jobs is one of the most recognized CEO's in the biz. Like you said, he is apple. he brought it back into the mainstream and will bring it into the future. Lloyd

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
How many shares are you looking to purchase. Personally, if its only a few, I would hold off. Right now, its just shy of $200. If you buy 2 shares, thats $400. Plus the fee, its about 415-420ish. Now this stock is at its high, so moving up will most likely be slower right now, especially considering Apple is a fairly stable company.

The 1 year estimate (doesn't mean much) is at $206. So, lets just say by the end of the year, it reaches 210. 210x2=420. You didn't even make money. If you chose to sell, then you will actually lose money with the fees.

My non-expert recommendation: Buy their supplier's stock. What you should do is make a giant web with apple in the middle and just follow their supply chain outwards. The further out you go, the better return (also higher risk). Look for the small companies that just signed agreements with apple or something. These are the guys you can make a killing on. You buy a suppliers stock for $5-10 and they may shoot up to $10-15. Thats up to a 100% gain.

And you said you were looking for long term, I'm guessing more than 5 years. If this is the case, I would be questionable of apple. Sure, its a great company and all, but growth is limited the bigger you get. Hell, they don't even pay dividends, which many people look for in long term investments.

However, if you really want to buy this stock, great. Just don't buy it when its this high. Let it settle back down.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Like someone else pointed out if its at 200 dollars a share even if it goes up a bit you aren't making much.

Unless you have 25k+ to invest I wouldn't even bother.

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Like someone else pointed out if its at 200 dollars a share even if it goes up a bit you aren't making much.

Unless you have 25k+ to invest I wouldn't even bother.

I was only thinking of putting in about 2k. Im a college student just wanting to play the market somewhat. After I shot up this past week, Ill be waiting it out for a little longer to see if it lowers. Like thegoldenmackid said, it is somewhat inflated now due to all the new stuff apple just put out. Lloyd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.