Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
It's usual for an update to make me feel happier with my old hardware. But when I bought my whitebook last March I had an idea that it was going to be a bit of a one off. I use my firewire everyday and often use the line in too. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I read about the update.

no3tic888

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Yeah, leaving out the firewire is a deal killer for me. I said that about the MacBook Unibody when it didn't have it too. I correctly predicted to my friend that they'll bring it back in the next revision. But I think they'll have "Light Peak" in the next MacBook update. At least I would hope so, USB 2.0 is so slow. I guess a MacBook Pro 13" is where I'm headed now. :)

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Funny thing is the Macbook update made it a no-brainer for me to pick this one over the MBP. I haven't used firewire in 6 years because I haven't had any classes that require video editing since high school.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Leaving out firewire is indeed a huge mistake. However, the design is great and it's probably much more sturdy.

They probably took it out to show the difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I know people would be crying about this.
I think the new Macbook is a smoking deal compared to the 13 inch Macbook Pro 2.26GHz. You don't get an SD slot, or a backlite keyboard, but you do get a 250GB hard drive. I really like this.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I don't mean to be a buzzkillington, but do most people use firewire anymore? I've actually never have used it on any of my macs but i did on a older ipod with a sony vaio that had a really small port (the 400 cable plugged into a adapter that came with the ipod) I know the advantages of firewire, but USB is basically well, universal now, and i don't think most people mind using it.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If I got the last generation MacBook within the last month or so, I would be kicking myself, not including the exclusion of FireWire, the new MacBook is better than the old one. Better screen, addressed the cracking issues and now hardware is on par with the rest of the portable lineup (now DDR3 instead of DDR2 and LED display).

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
It's usual for an update to make me feel happier with my old hardware. But when I bought my whitebook last March I had an idea that it was going to be a bit of a one off. I use my firewire everyday and often use the line in too. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I read about the update.

ha no way i bought mine in march to. im so happy i didnt wait, i use line for my guitar everyday and firewire for my external hard drive stupid move on apple's part for taking firewire out and line in

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
They probably took it out to show the difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I know people would be crying about this.
I think the new Macbook is a smoking deal compared to the 13 inch Macbook Pro 2.26GHz. You don't get an SD slot, or a backlite keyboard, but you do get a 250GB hard drive. I really like this.

^^^ What he said.

Now, with similar specs, the FW, SD card slot, and design features are what distinguishes this new macbook to its "pro" brothers.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I don't mean to be a buzzkillington, but do most people use firewire anymore? I've actually never have used it on any of my macs but i did on a older ipod with a sony vaio that had a really small port (the 400 cable plugged into a adapter that came with the ipod) I know the advantages of firewire, but USB is basically well, universal now, and i don't think most people mind using it.

The most visible advantage is the greatly improved speed for external hd..but then estata is better anyways =\

JLUGO35

Jul 14, 2009
Inman/Columbia, South Carolina

Looks like my MacBook resell value just went up a bit since it has firewire lol. Many people may not use it but hey its better to have and not need than to need and not have. Heck the other day my teacher made us turn in out lab assignment on a floppy drive cause here USB port was not working. You just never know when you might have to go old school.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
If I got the last generation MacBook within the last month or so, I would be kicking myself, not including the exclusion of FireWire, the new MacBook is better than the old one. Better screen, addressed the cracking issues and now hardware is on par with the rest of the portable lineup (now DDR3 instead of DDR2 and LED display).

I hear you, but what I want from my computer is adaptability, and I think that what Apple have removed has lessened its potential uses rather than increase them. Screen, yes, but I often use an external. Cracking issues I believe were sorted a long time ago now. And DDR3? I just can't get excited about it, its expensive ( remember I bought the cheapest macbook ;) )

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
What do you guys use the FW port for? I've never had to use it. :p

You've never needed to move a couple hundred gigabytes as a backup. USB takes forever. Since removing firewire what are they going to use a high speed transfer?

Just two USB ports is pretty rubbish for any laptop let alone one that costs so much.

Lastly just because you dont use it dosnt mean other people rely apon it. :rolleyes:

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Importing video from cameras that use DV tapes, and much quicker back up solution than USB2.

Ditto. The biggest deal is for video. I don't want to not be able to connect my current video camera, or to have to buy a new one. I like DV over a card for the video camera.

Makes me feel good about my purchase of the mid-2009 white Macbook.

Tenshi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
You've never needed to move a couple hundred gigabytes as a backup. USB takes forever. Since removing firewire what are they going to use a high speed transfer?

Just two USB ports is pretty rubbish for any laptop let alone one that costs so much.

Lastly just because you dont use it dosnt mean other people rely apon it. :rolleyes:

What a silly conclusion. I was merely asking what people used it for. I was educating myself (I am a newbie!).

Backing up my computer doesn't take too long using USB. My hard drive is only 120 gigs after all hahaha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.