Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
Do you think the new video input in the 27" iMac would be suitable for playing on the Xbox with or will there be any lag?

Here's the quote from their specifications page:

27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately).

iTabone

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Good question. Actually came back on this site to ask the same question. Same idea:

Can I use the new iMac with a A/V receiver?

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Some say you need an active converter (Around 150 bucks) to convert hdmi or dvi to mini displayport, some say you may not need anything. I hope somebody can get one of these soon and try it out, because I would love to have a ps3 slim hooked up to this, so I can game in my room.

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009

The tech from apple said that a displayport to hdmi adapter would work for using the display with the 360... I hope he's right... this is exactly what I've been waiting for

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
We need someone to try this ASAP.

How does the Video Input work, does OS X have anything to do with it, how do you switch etc.

I dont need an iMac but i'd love for it to be a feature, as it would make an awesome 27" 1080p TV.

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009

well i just ordered it as well as a mini displayport to hdmi... so unless someone beats me to it ..i guess ill be the guinea pig :confused:

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Im not even kidding, I would probably buy one on the spot if this was possible. P3S means I can finally watch Blu ray and play my favorite games on my macs awesome screen.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
well i just ordered it as well as a mini displayport to hdmi... so unless someone beats me to it ..i guess ill be the guinea pig :confused:
Sorry, you just wasted your money. There is no way a passive cable will work for this; you need an active (and expensive) converter. This is the same advice the Apple techs were giving out when the 24" LED display came out and people wanted to hook the current MB/MBP/MBA with DVI to the new display; it didn't work then, and it won't work now.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
I think we are missing one key element: iMac display: 2560x1440. 360 Max. Resolution: 1080p BUT STILL. If this works, I WILL be buying a 27inch iMac.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sorry, you just wasted your money. There is no way a passive cable will work for this; you need an active (and expensive) converter. This is the same advice the Apple techs were giving out when the 24" LED display came out and people wanted to hook the current MB/MBP/MBA with DVI to the new display; it didn't work then, and it won't work now.

dang. are you sure?

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Maven1975
You should be able to get video, but no audio. (According to monoprice)[/QUOTE
Right thats what I was told and what I read, which is easily solved by external speakers...

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008

You have been writing that in every thread, I am not saying you are incorrect, but I think we should at least wait till somebody tries this out first. The computers port could actually be active, as this is different then the apple cinema display. Again you may be right, but nobody knows for sure until we try this out.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

An active adapter is only needed if your are trying to drive anything higher than 2048x1152 which I believe is the highest Single Link DVI can offer. If you are trying to push 1080p (1920x1080) from HDMI (X360) to the iMac 2560x1440 display, can't see why you need a active adapter. Dual Link DVI has power requirements that Mini Display Port doesn't meet, Single Link doesn't.

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
An active adapter is only needed if your are trying to drive anything higher than 2048x1152 which I believe is the highest Single Link DVI can offer. If you are trying to push 1080p (1920x1080) from HDMI (X360) to the iMac 2560x1440 display, can't see why you need a active adapter. Dual Link DVI has power requirements that Mini Display Port doesn't meet, Single Link doesn't.

So then all we would need would be HDMI to DVI cable, and then a dvi to mini displayport adapter? I am also curious how this will work, so you hook up the ps3/xbox 360, power it on....then what? Does it automatically take over the screen? Do you need the remote to activate something? I hope engadget or one of those sites tests this out soon.

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
If it does work with consoles, I just wasted my money on this 32" HDTV (mainly 360 and CPU monitor). Here's hoping!!

Can't wait to buy my 27" iMac next month. Yay open credit on my credit card, lol! :p

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
So then all we would need would be HDMI to DVI cable, and then a dvi to mini displayport adapter? I am also curious how this will work, so you hook up the ps3/xbox 360, power it on....then what? Does it automatically take over the screen? Do you need the remote to activate something? I hope engadget or one of those sites tests this out soon.

OR you could just get an hdmi to mini display port adapter?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
If it does work with consoles, I just wasted my money on this 32" HDTV (mainly 360 and CPU monitor). Here's hoping!!

Can't wait to buy my 27" iMac next month. Yay open credit on my credit card, lol! :p

i so just want to plug my ps3 into this thing. no need for another screen

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
If my theory is correct, a $9 adapter from Monoprice should work. Wont get you sound, but I think a 360 deserves 5.1 anyway.

yep. that's what I thought. Now, how could you get sound off the 360 or PS3? Would you have to use a receiver? See, I just have computer speakers, so I'm guessing that won't work.

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
I think the reason nobody could hook up ps3 to an apple cinema display, is because there is no actual mini displayport to plug into on the cinema screen, the displayport is hardwired and hanging out of the cinema screen, you are just stuck with the male end of a mini display port with no adapter out there that has a female mini displayport to female hdmi, and thats why you need to buy the expensive converter. In the new iMacs case all you need to do is get an hdmi to minidisplay port cable, and plug it in, i dont see why you need anything else. This is a big big plus for me, as i have been in the market for a small tv for my room for HD gaming, and need a new computer...so if this can do both (obviously it can do the computer part) then i am a happy happy man.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
This is a big big plus for me, as i have been in the market for a small tv for my room for HD gaming, and need a new computer...so if this can do both (obviously it can do the computer part) then i am a happy happy man.

Talk about the ULTIMATE ALL-IN-ONE! I got a Hauppauge USB HDTV Tuner also that I cannot wait to hook up to this baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.