Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:09 AM   #1
ajohndoea
macrumors newbie

MACBOOK pro automatically logs me out immediatly after log in

I have a macbook pro 17" I upgraded to leopard a few weeks ago. Like it does normally, it asks if i would like to do a software update. It gave me five things which needed the update. I run the updates. It restarts and runs updates 1-5 restarted itself it seemed kinda glitchy cause it didnt come on right away. Once it was to the loggin screen; i log in (right password) and then after loading my desktop it logs me out. After repeatedly trying to log in and stay logged in, it logs me out continuously. I've reset the PRAM and the SMC but still it logs me out as soon as it loads the desktop. PLease help. I'm a musician and I need my comp all my work is on there. Thanks.
ajohndoea is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:17 AM   #2
SHankara
macrumors member

try logging into console:

at the login screen in the username tab type: >console

this will take you to a black screen with white text,then it will prompt with username and password.See if you can log in from there.If you succeed in logging in,type logout this will take you back to the main login screen.Then try logging in regularly
SHankara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:30 PM   #3
ajohndoea
macrumors newbie

there is no username tab. Im the only user and there is only a place to type the password. I've tried to start in safe mode but that doesnt work either (it just stays on the loading wheel grey screen) I'm probably going to take it in today...but just need to try and fix it myself cause this is retarded.
ajohndoea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:04 AM   #4
ajohndoea
macrumors newbie

so i took my comp into the apple store. We couldnt do anything. Just went in safe boot and looked around repaired permissions and everything but it continued. After I left she recommended that i reinstall leopard. Safe boot works. JUst hold down shift for the entire time at startup untill the login screen appears (for me this took atleast 5 min , holding ect..) I am going to back up my whole harddrive and try reinstalling leopard.

I've tried upgrading to snow leopard but problem persist. so I think the only way to fix this problem is to clean install the OS.

I am able to log in with out safe boot when my airport is off. Software update doesnt work with airport but with ethernet. safari does the same thing. It might be a networking error with airport since i think the software update glitched out while updating the airport and others. I will comment an update asoon as i reboot everything and let you guys know. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:48 AM   #5
kryptonianjorel
macrumors 6502

do an archive and install. it might fix your problems without having to wipe all of your data
iPod 5th Gen, 60 GB
kryptonianjorel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:11 AM   #6
ajohndoea
macrumors newbie

solution

I had to reinstall leopard. I'm happy i did it. It's performing much better. I didn't do an archive install. I diagnosed the main problem, when logging into the account the startup application "airport" would for some reason log me out. the software update utility in safe mode wasn't able to make a connection through the airport and would quit itself, so I turned off the airport and was then able to sign into my account normally. I still had some glitches with some programs.

I used the restore tool in disk utility to duplicate my hard drive. From the source to destination tool.

Im in love again.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:12 AM   #7
ajohndoea
macrumors newbie

oh and i have more space.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X