Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:59 PM   #1
jamdr
macrumors 6502a

Got my iBook back from Apple, has dead pixel

I recently sent my iBook G4 to Apple to get the screen replaced because it started to fade around all of the edged. Everything went smoothly, and I got it back from Apple with a new screen. The good news is the fading is gone and it looks bright and crisp again. The bad news is that there is now one bright blue pixel in the center of the screen. I've had a dead pixel before so I'm not very concerned about it, but the fact that this one is in the middle of the screen bothers me. Do you think I should try to get Apple to replace the screen again? Do you even think they would?
jamdr is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:59 PM   #2
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

no, apple will not replace your screen again. You need more than one dead pixel for apple to do anything about it.

Your pixel is stuck, not dead, however. A dead pixel is *always* black; stuck pixels can be black, but are more commonly stuck on one color. Stuck is much better than dead because it means that it might "unstick" at some point and return to normal. You can try to help this process along by gently massaging the stuck pixel with a clean, soft cloth. Hold the back of the screen behind the pixel while you do this and try to use a real massaging motion rather than just pressing or rubbing. I've had a number of stuck pixels that have unstuck with this treatment (though I've got one on my cinema display that I can't unstick - maybe it will unstick on its own, though - they sometimes do that)

good luck.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:49 AM   #3
oldschool
macrumors 65816

actually a centered pixel may constitute a screen replacement.

It never hurts to give apple a call and make your case.
oldschool is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:47 AM   #4
maradong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool
It never hurts to give apple a call and make your case.
good point,
no really. Those who don't try can't get the things they want...
luxembourgish probverb: "Dei dei net froen kennen naischt kreien" ;-)
maradong is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2004, 03:10 AM   #5
JFreak
macrumors 68040

you can always try and chances are they will at least consider a replacement because the faulty pixel is in center of screen. but don't get your hopes up, i know cases where even three faulty pixels in annoying places was not enough for a replacement screen...
Old Jul 21, 2004, 03:26 AM   #6
stevehaslip
macrumors 6502a

good luck!

if not you could always try massaging it out.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers