Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Is anyone noticing if there hard drive is making an annoying noise, ive gone from the 24" which had a 640gb in and all of sudden with the 27" im getting loud hard drive noise, i have time machine backing up which goes to the time capsule.... and lets say i open up iphoto it goes into a bit of frenzy..anyone got similar noises

xxaesaxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
fan noise

i just got my 27" today and it was running fine at first. Then about an hour in, the fan came on. I shut down, restarted, downloaded istat. everything looked normal, but the fan will not shut off unless the computer is off. It's really annoying and I have a headache from it now. I've done all the troubleshooting apple support recommends. No change. The fan just keeps running loudly. I think I'll have to take it to the apple store tomorrow.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
My 27" has been getting plenty of use today and has been as close to silent as I could wish for. I've only done light photoshop work on it so far and I'm not a gamer, but in general use this iMac is quieter than my 17" Unibody Macbook Pro which exhibits sporadic sounds from the HD.
No fan noise to report either.

Jay122

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
yes annoying noise from the hard drive is there. like a tick every few seconds.

imac 27

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
i just got my 27" today and it was running fine at first. Then about an hour in, the fan came on. I shut down, restarted, downloaded istat. everything looked normal, but the fan will not shut off unless the computer is off. It's really annoying and I have a headache from it now. I've done all the troubleshooting apple support recommends. No change. The fan just keeps running loudly. I think I'll have to take it to the apple store tomorrow.

Is the fan running full blast? if so I would not be surprised if a temperature sensor failed or the connection to it came loose. If not then perhaps flash is running?

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
yes annoying noise from the hard drive is there. like a tick every few seconds.

imac 27

Is there a pause for a few seconds before the click? I recently had a brand new 1.5 Tb Seagate that would seem to freeze for a few seconds then make a loud click. I have the same drive that I put in my imac and it did not exhibit this kind of behavior. It would do this every 30 seconds or so. Returned it and bought a new identical drive and the problem was solved.This was in an external Fw drive. In your case this may maybe a firmware issue but I would not trust the drive until apple replaces it or updates the firmware. Imho.

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Is anyone noticing if there hard drive is making an annoying noise, ive gone from the 24" which had a 640gb in and all of sudden with the 27" im getting loud hard drive noise, i have time machine backing up which goes to the time capsule.... and lets say i open up iphoto it goes into a bit of frenzy..anyone got similar noises

well it drove me mad so i took it back and got it replaced, guess what this one is exactly the same........ffs what now????

cardwizard

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Netherlands
I noticed the HDD noise to , my previous 640GB HDD in my 24" iMac was super silent

The 1TB HDD in my new 27" iMac makes much more noise and that irritates me :mad:

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I noticed the HDD noise to , my previous 640GB HDD in my 24" iMac was super silent

The 1TB HDD in my new 27" iMac makes much more noise and that irritates me :mad:

its irritating me and seriously dont know what to do, performance is fine its just the noise !!!!!!!!

cardwizard

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Netherlands
its irritating me and seriously dont know what to do, performance is fine its just the noise !!!!!!!!

I think there is nothing we can do because technicly (spelling ?) there is nothing wrong with it , the hdd's Apple used for the new iMac is just not that silent as for the old iMac

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I think there is nothing we can do because technicly (spelling ?) there is nothing wrong with it , the hdd's Apple used for the new iMac is just not that silent as for the old iMac

you may have a point, maybe because i have had the 20" and the 24" you start to compare to them, if this was my first ever mac i don't think i would take any notice

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Apple are currently using Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives for the 1TB model, these are the fast version of the 1TB drive - the Caviar Blue is slower and quieter. I use Western Digital drives a lot myself in external enclosures, the little 'tick' you hear seems to be the hard drive parking the heads, I think it's part of the power management for the drive.

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Apple are currently using Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives for the 1TB model, these are the fast version of the 1TB drive - the Caviar Blue is slower and quieter. I use Western Digital drives a lot myself in external enclosures, the little 'tick' you hear seems to be the hard drive parking the heads, I think it's part of the power management for the drive.

so what your saying is that its typically normal then?

alangsam

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
anyone have the 27" with 2TB drive - what brand is apple using

I saw some performance comparisons on 2TB sata drives. Anyone know what brand apple is using in the 27" imac? you can find out by going to about This MAC and then Serial-ATA

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
So, is anyone not hearing the HD ticking noise? Download something big to test.. Would like to know if everyone has this or just a subset of users. Also specify if you're using the 1 or 2TB HD. Thanks.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I can hear mine. Sounds like my iMac stomach is grumbling.

EDIT:
I have the Seagate 1TB. Model ST31000528ASQ

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Do you also hear it when just browsing the web, it's quite annoying, like every 10 seconds..

DrNelly

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
NJ
I am also experiencing the problem, it sounds as if it was either indexing spotlight forever or backing up to time machine when neither of those things actually happen.

I had a similar problem with an external WD drive that never stopped spinning. It could be the hdd firmware or it could be SL messing around with pre-caches or similar...

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Do this command in terminal:

sudo fs_usage -f filesys

I see alot of mds and mdworker when it's not actually indexing anything in spotlight. Also lots of safari reads/writes when I'm just browsing the web..

Xip Xero

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
2TB Performance Comapisons?

I saw some performance comparisons on 2TB sata drives. Anyone know what brand apple is using in the 27" imac? you can find out by going to about This MAC and then Serial-ATA

alangsam, where did you find the 2TB performance comparisons? Have you had any response to the 2TB drive Apple is using? I'm trying to decide on which i7 to order (1TB or 2TB). I may order the 1TB and replace the drive with a WD 2TB Caviar Black - when they're available.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.