Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:17 AM   #1
TTLaRue
macrumors newbie

Anyone else think LE Update to 8.0.1 blows?

How come the Updater takes up 1.67GB?! I haven't even messed around with 8.0.1 but I'm just saying, I do one silly update and then, whammo! the domino effect and I have to update everything.

Ok, so the file size is the least of my worries now! I update to 8.0.1 and have yet to run Pro Tools. The application "unexpectedly quits" on me everytime I launch. Argh! Anyone know the work around? I'm running OS 10.5.8. Going to check the Digidesign System Requirements now, like I should have done earlier.

I guess they're right, if it works, DONT UPDATE! Thanks for leaving me behind technology!

Sorry to complain.

Last edited by TTLaRue; Oct 22, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Update
TTLaRue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

I updated M-Powered to 8.0.1 and haven't had any problems. I found it to be more stable than 8.0cs3 and liked the little improvements that were made.

Maybe try uninstalling and starting from scratch?

On a side note, it's running 8.0.3 on Snow Leopard that I'm worried about...hopefully they'll have all the kinks worked out soon. The only reason I haven't upgraded to SL is because I can't run Pro Tools reliably on it.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
TTLaRue
macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. I figured as much, the ol' re-install from scratch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any reason why we should be on 8.0.3? It just seems buggy.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

No, 8.0.3pr is just a beta release for people running Snow Leopard.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Flipstar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTLaRue View Post
How come the Updater takes up 1.67GB?! I haven't even messed around with 8.0.1 but I'm just saying, I do one silly update and then, whammo! the domino effect and I have to update everything.

Ok, so the file size is the least of my worries now! I update to 8.0.1 and have yet to run Pro Tools. The application "unexpectedly quits" on me everytime I launch. Argh! Anyone know the work around? I'm running OS 10.5.8. Going to check the Digidesign System Requirements now, like I should have done earlier.

I guess they're right, if it works, DONT UPDATE! Thanks for leaving me behind technology!

Sorry to complain.
Incompatible plugins perhaps?
Flipstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
L3X
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to L3X
How do you all like Pro Tools 8? I've stopped doing audio production for about 2 years and was using Pro Tools 6.7 or something.

I'm about to get back into it and was looking at either going with Logic or Pro Tools.

What are your suggestions? I like Pro Tools 8 because it's only $150. I already have a 002 that I will use.
L3X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

I like it...I much prefer it to Logic when dealing with audio. For composing, I think Logic has the edge.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:19 PM   #8
TTLaRue
macrumors newbie

I'm back up and running! Thanks for all that helped. All it took was a fresh, re-install.

PT8 is definitely a workhorse, like Avid Media Composer. However, there are headaches that come along with most Avid products. Mostly software-to-platform incompatibilities when it comes to updates, as I have experienced over the years.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio