Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TTLaRue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Los Angeles
How come the Updater takes up 1.67GB?! I haven't even messed around with 8.0.1 but I'm just saying, I do one silly update and then, whammo! the domino effect and I have to update everything.

Ok, so the file size is the least of my worries now! I update to 8.0.1 and have yet to run Pro Tools. The application "unexpectedly quits" on me everytime I launch. Argh! Anyone know the work around? I'm running OS 10.5.8. Going to check the Digidesign System Requirements now, like I should have done earlier.

I guess they're right, if it works, DONT UPDATE! Thanks for leaving me behind technology!

Sorry to complain.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
I updated M-Powered to 8.0.1 and haven't had any problems. I found it to be more stable than 8.0cs3 and liked the little improvements that were made.

Maybe try uninstalling and starting from scratch?

On a side note, it's running 8.0.3 on Snow Leopard that I'm worried about...hopefully they'll have all the kinks worked out soon. The only reason I haven't upgraded to SL is because I can't run Pro Tools reliably on it.

TTLaRue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for responding. I figured as much, the ol' re-install from scratch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any reason why we should be on 8.0.3? It just seems buggy.

Flipstar

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
How come the Updater takes up 1.67GB?! I haven't even messed around with 8.0.1 but I'm just saying, I do one silly update and then, whammo! the domino effect and I have to update everything.

Ok, so the file size is the least of my worries now! I update to 8.0.1 and have yet to run Pro Tools. The application "unexpectedly quits" on me everytime I launch. Argh! Anyone know the work around? I'm running OS 10.5.8. Going to check the Digidesign System Requirements now, like I should have done earlier.

I guess they're right, if it works, DONT UPDATE! Thanks for leaving me behind technology!

Sorry to complain.

Incompatible plugins perhaps?

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
How do you all like Pro Tools 8? I've stopped doing audio production for about 2 years and was using Pro Tools 6.7 or something.

I'm about to get back into it and was looking at either going with Logic or Pro Tools.

What are your suggestions? I like Pro Tools 8 because it's only $150. I already have a 002 that I will use.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
I like it...I much prefer it to Logic when dealing with audio. For composing, I think Logic has the edge.

TTLaRue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm back up and running! Thanks for all that helped. All it took was a fresh, re-install.

PT8 is definitely a workhorse, like Avid Media Composer. However, there are headaches that come along with most Avid products. Mostly software-to-platform incompatibilities when it comes to updates, as I have experienced over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.