Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Magic Mouse

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple Magic Mouse
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
JML42691
macrumors 68020

This review says that the mouse isn't compatible with other computers other than the new iMacs, I thought that once you plugged the mouse in and launched Software Update there would be a download that would allow you to enable all of the nice features of the device. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I plan on buying one of these once my campus store gets them in stock, but if it isn't compatible with my late-2007 white MacBook then I would be disappointed.
JML42691 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:33 AM   #3
chicagostars
macrumors regular

Mac Compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML42691 View Post
This review says that the mouse isn't compatible with other computers other than the new iMacs, I thought that once you plugged the mouse in and launched Software Update there would be a download that would allow you to enable all of the nice features of the device. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I plan on buying one of these once my campus store gets them in stock, but if it isn't compatible with my late-2007 white MacBook then I would be disappointed.
According to Apple, the system requirements are:
* Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer
* Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
* Existing keyboard and mouse for setup

Hope this helps.
chicagostars is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
martynmc7
macrumors regular

The article says:

"So far the Magic Mouse is only compatible with the iMacs that they ship with, but will get broad support soon."
martynmc7 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
davisjw
macrumors regular

The user manual mentions an update to .6 so I assume it is then that you will be able to use it. As it shipped with the manual, we can expect that soon. Somewhere else I read Apple said it would be usable for computers 05 and newer, if memory serves me correctly..
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:59 AM   #6
JML42691
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynmc7 View Post
The article says:

"So far the Magic Mouse is only compatible with the iMacs that they ship with, but will get broad support soon."
Yes, but I was under the impression that all that was needed to get the mouse working with a computer like mine was the mouse software download, i.e. this mouse would be able to fully work if I bought it right now and sync it with my computer.
JML42691 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7
michael.lauden
macrumors 68020

Quote:
look into it for yourself. maybe perhaps... on the main page
michael.lauden is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
The Magic Mouse is much better than the Mighty Mouse, which people hated, and might actually be good enough that non-Mac users might want to pick it up as well, supposing that they don't really care about ergonomics.
Hated?

Who in their right mind hates the Mighty Mouse? I absolutely love it! My progression of mouses has been...

... nondescript mouses from older computers...
then the Apple Puck, which I hated.
then a few different track balls, some I liked, some I didn't.
then the Mighty Mouse, OMG, best mouse ever! I love it!

I can understand some people might prefer other mouses, but that anyone would go as far as saying they hate the Mighty Mouse seems absurd.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Kristenn
macrumors 6502

I like the Mighty Mouse. I like everything about it exept the stupid track ball. When I first got it the thing wouldn't scroll left and still wont. And no matter how much I wash my hands before I use it. It still gets clogged up after a few weeks. Other then that I love the thing. The clicks are quiet. It feels great in my small hands and it IS the best mouse ever, besides the track ball. This new mouse to me, sounds AND looks like the best mouse ever made. But I will try it first before calling that my finally opinion! =D
Kristenn is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Just to let people know. I'm not supposed to do this but.

The Magic Mouse can be used on other Macs without a multi-touch trackpad.

From my Mac Pro System prefs. in 10.6.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	199908  
Peace is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:18 AM   #11
dukebound85
macrumors P6

i was going to buy this mouse so headed over to the apple store all excited

tried it and i HATE the thing

so uncomfortable in my hand and caused my wrist to strain. how in the world did apple design this thing?

the scrolling was not as smooth as id hoped and just a VERY dissapointing experience using the thing

ill stick to companies that know how to design mice

why i keep thinking apple can, i have no idea......i mean the hockey puck, the pill, the mighty mouse and now this? none have been good
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

After 4 day's I have a few complaints...
  • The tracking is way to low (even when set to max)
  • I miss buttons 3 and 4 (Expose and Dashboard for me)
  • The battery seems to be going fast (at 88% after 4 days)
Cynicalone is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:32 PM   #13
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
Magic mouse requires batteries. And batteries die. Lose on my books.

That's why I still use wired mice, and always will, as long as they still make them and I have one on hand. And as long as my keyboard still has a USB port.

This is the mouse I am using right now. Cheap, it works great, it's a Laser Mouse, and it fits my hand perfectly:

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:01 PM   #14
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
This is the mouse I am using right now. Cheap, it works great, it's a Laser Mouse, and it fits my hand perfectly:

This is the Logitech M500 USB mouse, the successor to the much-beloved MX500 mouse that I'm using right now:

Indeed, for a number of years the MX500 was a very popular third-party product at the online Apple Store itself.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:19 PM   #15
labman
macrumors 604

Kent Pribbernow TUAW unboxing video!

just saw this on Twitter so I thought I would add it to the thread. btw did anybody have as much trouble as Kent opening theirs?

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/01/magic...o-man-vs-tape/
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:41 PM   #16
JML42691
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
just saw this on Twitter so I thought I would add it to the thread. btw did anybody have as much trouble as Kent opening theirs?

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/01/magic...o-man-vs-tape/
Haven't gotten mine yet, I'm waiting for my campus computer store to get them first, but from what I've seen in other videos it isn't that hard, it looks like he missed the blatantly obvious grey tabs that you use to pull the tape.
JML42691 is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:00 AM   #17
mikes70mustang
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
i was going to buy this mouse so headed over to the apple store all excited

tried it and i HATE the thing

so uncomfortable in my hand and caused my wrist to strain. how in the world did apple design this thing?

the scrolling was not as smooth as id hoped and just a VERY dissapointing experience using the thing

ill stick to companies that know how to design mice

why i keep thinking apple can, i have no idea......i mean the hockey puck, the pill, the mighty mouse and now this? none have been good
Yah, i thought about getting it, but, i tried it and its no good. Too small. Its very uncomfortable how much i had to curl my fingers to use it and how i had to grip it with my thumb and pinky finger. They failed big time by trying to make it look cool instead of ergonomic.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:28 PM   #18
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

I've been using my magic mouse for a few days and I love it.

While I miss the middle click and side buttons, the mouse is actually WAY more ergonomic than the mighty mouse, with much better scrolling. Also, it seems to be a little more precise to me.

I hate spending $70 on a mouse but I did on the vastly inferior wireless mighty mouse so oh well.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:41 PM   #19
stroute
macrumors newbie

You gotta love that mouse

Got my Magic Mouse 2 days ago, I LOVE IT with my Macbook Pro. Everything is awesome...now if they'd come up with a wired version to just keep at home. It is the best thing since sliced bread.
stroute is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Hated?

Who in their right mind hates the Mighty Mouse? I absolutely love it! My progression of mouses has been...

... nondescript mouses from older computers...
then the Apple Puck, which I hated.
then a few different track balls, some I liked, some I didn't.
then the Mighty Mouse, OMG, best mouse ever! I love it!

I can understand some people might prefer other mouses, but that anyone would go as far as saying they hate the Mighty Mouse seems absurd.

Pretty much everyone I know. Multiple mac users I know take the mouse that came with the iMac or there mac and throw it into a desk drawer and use some 3rd party. Microsoft and logitech seem to be the 2 most people go for.

My mice of choice to use is my Logitech G7 (1 year old) and a 20 buck memorex mouse I bought over 6 or 7 years ago now. Both the memorex and the G7 are better than the might mouse and I know I will like my G7 better
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:11 PM   #21
Bristol
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I just got the Magic Mouse and installed it on a 2 year old iMac and it is perfect with no lag. They must have done something with the software.
Bristol is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:13 PM   #22
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

new mouse SUCKS, tried it on my Mac Pro and my MBP ... with the software update it works poorer than it did before.

At maximum speed it the pointer crawls across the screen .... waste of time and money, what was Apple thinking...

ALL 'cool design' with NO ergonomics, sharp edges, doesn't conform at all to your hand stupid stupid stupid!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:17 PM   #23
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes70mustang View Post
Yah, i thought about getting it, but, i tried it and its no good. Too small. Its very uncomfortable how much i had to curl my fingers to use it and how i had to grip it with my thumb and pinky finger. They failed big time by trying to make it look cool instead of ergonomic.
yep couldn't agree more ...

sharp edged macbooks, sharp edged mice ... they're missing a major part of Engineering in some of their products ... too much focus on design not enough on making a product that's very comfortable to use ....
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Another classic apple fail. Apple shows yet again they care more about form than funtion. It is more important for them to look pretty than the stuff to be useless
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:38 PM   #25
Peace
macrumors P6

I like it. Works fine. I don't understand why others are complaining.
Peace is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion