Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisedmonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
I just thought of something! Can you replace the keyboard and front casing on the new Macbooks? Cause I was thinking if you could not they will eventually get worn out and dirty, and possibility turn in color! Also I know that you can get replacements on ebay for the old Macbooks so this could effect my purchasing decision. And yes I know its uinbody but it IS also made of different interconnecting parts. So does anyone know? I sure hope you can.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The new model does have a glossy finish, which may slow down/stop the yellowing that's common on the iBooks/white MacBook top cases.

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
On the new MacBooks, the keyboard, trackpad, front casing, and top casing are all one part—called the "Top Case with Keyboard". It's a very intensive repair.

In all truth, discolouration is no longer a problem on the previous plastic MacBooks. The materials used in the plastic have been changed, and any marks or yellowing can be removed by a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and iKlear.

I wouldn't base your purchase decision on this repair. Yes, it's possible to do. Yes, it's difficult. And no, it probably won't ever be necessary.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
when the keyboard in this gets something spilled on it, I just tried to shove it into my old gargantuan ultrasonic cleaner when it worked separate from optical drive, hard drive, and logic board, and had it work its magic. then the same for the logic board by itself.

With the other macbooks, replacing the keyboard is just too cheap and too easy to not do. With this, if I can salvage it, I can!

You can try but it won't be fun.

chrisedmonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Ok thanks I will keep looking and see if I can get a deal on a older one at a good price but since you can clean it with a cleaner I do that with the older one too. But its not like iam hard with my computers or any electronics I just want to be safe as I hate it when white plastic turns yellowish. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.