Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovacaineX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Well my powerbook (15" 1.25ghz 512m 80gb combo) should be here today or tomorrow and I'm gonna need some software advice. I've only really used macs at school and have no idea what apps are out there. I'll definatly be getting the Adobe CS Suite and Macromedia Studio. Probably also MS Office. As of now i use windows and am happy that Firefox and Thunderbird are both available for the mac. Are they worth using or is Safari/Mail better? Also any suggestions for useful/fun/cool apps would be great. Thanks alot!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Since Firefox/Thunderbird are free there's no harm in trying both right?

As for recommending apps... it's just your own preference. I'd wait to see if OS X doesn't do something for you or rubs you the wrong way and then go searching for apps. Don't just install things because somebody else says they're cool. I've found that for me OS X does most everything I need. Then, when something did bother me I would go find an app to fix it. That and there are *plenty* of threads already on recommended apps. Use the forum search.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Personally, (now that I have more ram) I prefer Safari. But, I would recomend you try a few different browsers and keep the one that best suits your needs.

VLC is a useful app that plays differenet video formats not supported by quicktime or realplayer. (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)

Mactracker is a cool little app that has information on all macs ever built. (http://mactracker.ca/)

I know there are more, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Good luck with the new computer!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree with SilentPanda that there are plenty of other "cool app" threads.

One question: what do you primarily intend to do with your Mac? That would help to narrow down the recommendations to a list that might be more suitable for you personally.

A lot of the "cool app" lists are either (a) free software lists, or (b) game lists. There are fewer "what should I buy if I'm using my Mac to do ___?" lists - i.e., which apps to actually consider, God forbid, spending money on.

Based on what you've written, I assume you do web work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
NovacaineX said:
Well my powerbook (15" 1.25ghz 512m 80gb combo) should be here today or tomorrow and I'm gonna need some software advice. I've only really used macs at school and have no idea what apps are out there. I'll definatly be getting the Adobe CS Suite and Macromedia Studio. Probably also MS Office. As of now i use windows and am happy that Firefox and Thunderbird are both available for the mac. Are they worth using or is Safari/Mail better? Also any suggestions for useful/fun/cool apps would be great. Thanks alot!
Search VersionTracker and MacUpdate. The only person who knows what you want to do and how you want to do it is you. Both sites include reviews for each application. Also, in addition to great commercial software, the Mac has really great shareware and freeware. Give them all your serious consideration.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
There are piles of cool apps, but there is one that I would recommend to pretty much anybody. Get Onyx (or some other maintenance utility) off of macupdate.com. If you run the optimize and repair permissions every couple of weeks, it will goes a long ways to keeping your machine running well.

Edit: post 100 . . . yahoo!

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
First things first :

Welcome home fellow switcher!

I have the very same config as you, coming from 10 years of windows / 5 linux here are the 3 apps I can't live without :

As much as I love thunderbird and firefox, I just stick to safari and mail, which have better... wait... no.. SEAMLESS integration to the os and the other iLife apps. Coming from a linux background, I was left mouth wide opened when I toyed with iCal and mail integration.
IT
JUST
WORKS!

And that's just great :D

And don't get me started on the integrated spell checker in safari forms (and most apps) ...<orgasm>OH GAWD YES!!!</orgasm>

Who said once you mac you never go back? Because I fear for my wallet that it may be true...

Oh one last thing: First thing to learn on a mac: You can install / uninstall applications by just dragging them to a folder on your hd. Usually Applications. But you can also rearrange it as you like then add a shortcut to the application folder on your dock, right click on it "et voila"! Start menu here you are :)

To try out the unninstall feature : drag the IE icon to the trash, then empty it, first thing I did on my pbook :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.