Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Lost original iPhone sim card now it wonít work as an iPod

Long story short, back this summer my 3GS was having problems so I had to use my original iPhone for a few weeks while Apple repaired it. In the process, Apple had me swap my original sim card with my new 3GS one. I discarded the old sim card thinking I wouldnít need it again.

The original iPhone has worked fine ever since as an iPod touch. Today, I decided to give the original iPhone to my younger cousin ó so naturally I plugged it into iTunes and performed a restore.

Now, the phone keeps asking for a sim card (which I obviously donít have).

What are my options? I didnít really want to bother with jail-breaking or unlocking, but I donít know what else to do.

Itís a bit ridiculous that I was supposed to know to keep the sim card. The AppleCare Rep. never mentioned that. I assumed the phone would function perfectly fine as an iPod without it.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
You can either put your sim card or any active sim card to activate it and then just take the card back out, and it will continue working, and won't affect your account at all. Or you can jailbreak it, and make sure to check the "Activate" box.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting