Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
The nitty gritty:
QS 800Mhz DP
1.5 GB RAM

PNY GeForce FX5200 Ultra 256MB (flashed with the modded ROM for 256MB FX5200 cards from TheMacElite)

It'll boot with the happy chime, but when the screen finally kicks in it's just a mass of multicolor pixels with the word "Apple" appearing in random locations. Network shares are accessible and I can ssh, but I can't screen share with it.

Did I botch the flashing process, are pins 3 and 11 not fully taped off, should I take the PCI Radeon 7000 out, or is something else wrong here?

Everything works peachy with the GeForce2MX TwinView in place, but I was hoping to get a bit more out of this old workhorse when I stumbled upon that NVIDIA card in the depths of my desk drawers.

Any help or pointing to other resources would be appreciated!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
5200s don't do 1920x1200 via DVI...they try, and some may work, but most fail...so if you are doing dvi....a no go.

you need to match ROM to the card.

There never was a 256 Meg Ultra, they all had BGA RAM of 128 Megs. The Non-Ultra cards used TSOP RAM in 256 Meg versions.

not the 3 & 11 issue

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
5200s don't do 1920x1200 via DVI...they try, and some may work, but most fail...so if you are doing dvi....a no go.
Using it with VGA, but that's good to know if I ever decide to upgrade the monitors hooked up to it.

you need to match ROM to the card.

There never was a 256 Meg Ultra, they all had BGA RAM of 128 Megs. The Non-Ultra cards used TSOP RAM in 256 Meg versions.

I think that's the problem then, for some reason I was assuming it was a 256MB card. I'll reflash it next week and try again. Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.