Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyapplewhy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
I am buying windows 7 upgrade with my student discount. Just wondering if I will have to buy 2 of them for 2 different computers or if It is possible to use the same CD on both of the computers?

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
I am buying windows 7 upgrade with my student discount. Just wondering if I will have to buy 2 of them for 2 different computers or if It is possible to use the same CD on both of the computers?
1 license = 1 computer
Why don't you get another email and get another disk?
I'd suggest getting the full version. I got mine yesterday directly from Microsoft.
Call them and ask for Windows 7 Professional FULL 1.877.696.7786
The upgrade is just an upgrade. Your serial won't work if you do a fresh install.

whyapplewhy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure how I would get another university email.

Can you install the full version on two different computers?

I am not sure why they would give you Windows 7 full edition on the phone and not on the web, can you explain how you did it. Did they offer it to you, or did you talk them into it?

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Is your school part of MSDNAA?
Just take a 1 credit hour computer science class so you can access MSDNAA and there you get free Windows XP, Vista and 7.

whyapplewhy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Is your school part of MSDNAA?
Just take a 1 credit hour computer science class so you can access MSDNAA and there you get free Windows XP, Vista and 7.

I looked on the website and indeed found my school on there. Any clue on how to register for this site.. will I need to contact my school? Also are these version full or upgrade versions, it doesn't really say.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
1 license = 1 computer
Why don't you get another email and get another disk?
I'd suggest getting the full version. I got mine yesterday directly from Microsoft.
Call them and ask for Windows 7 Professional FULL 1.877.696.7786
The upgrade is just an upgrade. Your serial won't work if you do a fresh install.

You can get the serial to work. Some people have reported their upgrade serial working the first try regardless of being a fresh install (Just waited to enter the serial in the Activate Windows app within the OS, post installation). Others said they were able to install Windows 7, then-- "Upgrade" it to Windows 7 and use their key.

I personally used this guide: Read Tutorial Here
to use my Upgrade key on my initial install of Windows 7. Worked like a charm. ^_^ Literally go to 1 file, change a 1 to a 0, put one two word line into terminal and then restart and enter serial. Was REALLY easy.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
can you install windows 7 on one computer, then some how uninstall it, then reinstall on another computer? I'm thinking of getting a new comp soon...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
can you install windows 7 on one computer, then some how uninstall it, then reinstall on another computer? I'm thinking of getting a new comp soon...

Depends on the particular EULA of your license and the phase of the moon.

Full retail licenses usually have a clause of "transfer rights" which allows you to remove and reinstall with automatic activation as long as it doesn't happen very often.

If you have an OEM or otherwise restricted license, you don't have any such right explicitly granted in the EULA, and you may have to call Microsoft's phone number for assisted activation, but many have reported in being able to activate after moving a license that was thought to be not movable. They could however choose not to give you an activation code as you are asking for something above and beyond your EULA. (Hence the phase of the moon).

B

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Ethically? No.

Technically? Yes.
The online activation only works on one computer (every few months), but you can call up the free 1-800 number the failed activation gives you and activate it through the automated process.. IF that fails it takes you to a real person and just tell them you had to format... And you get activated.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I looked on the website and indeed found my school on there. Any clue on how to register for this site.. will I need to contact my school? Also are these version full or upgrade versions, it doesn't really say.

I would contact those responsible for your school's IT service and ask them.

At the college where I study the school is responsible for registering students into the MSDNAA. Once they give you your login and password you can download software susch as Windows 7 using the iso. You can also get TWO licenses for each application or OS, but you need to ask your admin for another license key. But it is all perfectly above board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.