Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
mrgeek
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
My macbook aluminum battery does not last longer than expected.

This macbook aluminum is refurbish from apple store online. It works perfectly but battery life is very short. I lower the screen brightness under 50 % and turn off bluetooth. When the battery is 100 percent full charge, the time says it will last two hours and half not even close to 3 hours or more. What do you think?
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Can you please provide the specs of your machine? Year, model, etc. The information is important in determining battery life expectations.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Can you please provide the specs of your machine? Year, model, etc. The information is important in determining battery life expectations.
Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Standard keyboard

I install coconut battery application It gave me details that this computer is four months old, and its refurbish but bought almost a month ago. Battery life important for class or other normal school activity.
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
The specs of that machine suggest a 5-hour battery life.
With 50% brightness, what else are you doing? Watching movies?

How many cycles do you have? Download (free) coconut battery to check health and cycles.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The specs of that machine suggest a 5-hour battery life.
With 50% brightness, what else are you doing? Watching movies?

How many cycles do you have? Download (free) coconut battery to check health and cycles.
Yes, I do watch videos like youtube or dvd movies but not most of the time. Majority of time is based on university projects using Microsoft office or just typing or reading.
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:57 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Please download coconut battery and post your cycle count and battery health.
Post them like so:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voila_Capture10.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	200370
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:05 PM   #7
spinnerlys
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: forlod bygningen
As you may see from many threads about battery life, it comes down to what processes might use you CPU.

YouTube for example uses Flash to play their videos, which uses quite a lot of CPU power.
Office might use a lot of CPU power too, you should check Activity Monitor and select to Show All Processes and sort by CPU.




If your CPU usage is above 33% constantly, the battery life you get seems normal.

I currently write this post on an older white MacBook which has a battery with more capacity than the one used for the Unibody MacBook, and my CPU usage averages at about 15% with 10 Applications open and my battery indicator in the Menu Bar tells me I have 3h44m left.

If I go to YouTube and watch videos via Flash I get around 40% of CPU usage and I only have 2h52m left.
My display is almost at full brightness (2 bars left).

For watching YouTube videos without Flash you can download a Safari Add-On called ClickToFlash, which will disable Flash content (but which can be enabled via clicking on the Flash content) anywhere, and enable you to watch YouTube videos in QuickTime (in the browser window) as an .h264 encoded video which will use less CPU and therefore saving you some battery capacity.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Please download coconut battery and post your cycle count and battery health.
Post them like so:
Attachment 200370
How do you post them like?
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:21 PM   #9
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
This is the activity monitor.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Processes.txt (4.4 KB, 37 views)
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:24 PM   #10
spinnerlys
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: forlod bygningen
Upload the image (.jpg or .png) to an online image host like Flickr or maybe even your own webspace, copy the link from the image, it should look like this: h t t p : / / farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/637398794_89b2f0fc95_o.jpg (I have separated the http:// part only for show, so it won't convert to a link), then post a reply here or edit a post you already made, then click on the yellow image icon , insert the copied address and press okay.



EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeek View Post
This is the activity monitor.

It looks quite normal at the moment, but it may be, that at other times the CPU is used more than what is shown in that single moment you took a peek at it.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:28 PM   #11
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Upload the image (.jpg or .png) to an online image host like Flickr or maybe even your own webspace, copy the link from the image, it should look like this: h t t p : / / farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/637398794_89b2f0fc95_o.jpg (I have separated the http:// part only for show, so it won't convert to a link), then post a reply here or edit a post you already made, then click on the yellow image icon , insert the copied address and press okay.



EDIT:




It looks quite normal at the moment, but it may be, that at other times the CPU is used more than what is shown in that single moment you took a peek at it.

I will just write down the coconut battery results.

Current battery charge: 3585 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4134 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 4134mAh
Original Battery capacity:4100 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 83
Age of your mac: 4 months
Charge connect: YES
Battery is charging: YES

This laptop is one month old refurbish laptop, not four months.
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:51 PM   #12
chill.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
i also have a unibody macbook and 2-3 hours of real usage (wifi, internet browsing, music playing) is about right

the quoted 5 hour figure is basically when you have low brightness and are doing nothing

if you do a search you will see quite a few posts complaining about the battery life of the unibody macbooks
chill. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:02 AM   #13
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill. View Post
i also have a unibody macbook and 2-3 hours of real usage (wifi, internet browsing, music playing) is about right

the quoted 5 hour figure is basically when you have low brightness and are doing nothing

if you do a search you will see quite a few posts complaining about the battery life of the unibody macbooks
Current battery charge: 3585 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4021 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 4021mAh
Original Battery capacity:4005 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 99
Age of your mac: 4 months
Charge connect: YES
Battery is charging: YES

Is this getting worse or normal?
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Mr. Monsieur
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
How Apple Determines Battery Life

I went through this as well...back and forth with Apple regarding my brand new MBP. I ended up *very* annoyed (they had me send in my computer, but didn't end up doing anything to it!) because this is how they determine battery life (which is, of course, completely unrealistic...no one uses their computer this way!):

1. Fully charge the computer.
2. Set the display brightness to 50%.
3. Turn on AirPort.
4. Turn off Bluetooth.
5. Remove any external devices.
6. Disable sleep and screen saver.
7. Disable any background processes such as Time Machine backup or third-party background applications, file sharing, internet sharing, and so on.
8. When you've completed these steps, remove AC power, start a timer, and let the computer sit with no applications open. Be sure to let the computer run until it forces itself to sleep without any interruptions.
9. Once it is asleep stop the timer and write down the hour and minutes the computer stayed on before going to sleep.
__________________
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (2009), 250GB SSD Boot Drive, 500GB internal HDD storage, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks, "Your history acts as your gravity"
Mr. Monsieur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:05 PM   #15
mrgeek
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monsieur View Post
I went through this as well...back and forth with Apple regarding my brand new MBP. I ended up *very* annoyed (they had me send in my computer, but didn't end up doing anything to it!) because this is how they determine battery life (which is, of course, completely unrealistic...no one uses their computer this way!):

1. Fully charge the computer.
2. Set the display brightness to 50%.
3. Turn on AirPort.
4. Turn off Bluetooth.
5. Remove any external devices.
6. Disable sleep and screen saver.
7. Disable any background processes such as Time Machine backup or third-party background applications, file sharing, internet sharing, and so on.
8. When you've completed these steps, remove AC power, start a timer, and let the computer sit with no applications open. Be sure to let the computer run until it forces itself to sleep without any interruptions.
9. Once it is asleep stop the timer and write down the hour and minutes the computer stayed on before going to sleep.
Ok here the update for my battery lifespan since this computer is month old.

Current battery charge: 3923 mAh
Maximum battery charge:3923 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 3923mAh
Original Battery capacity:3923 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 110
Age of your mac: 4 months
Charge connect: YES
Battery is charging: YES


My battery charges up to 97% as fully charge, do you think that's normal?
I can't get 100% charge , and applecare is saying that is normal. I am pissed it is 97% not 100%. Does your battery charge fully at 97%?
mrgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:13 PM   #16
iBookG4user
macrumors 604
 
iBookG4user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeek View Post
My battery charges up to 97% as fully charge, do you think that's normal?
I can't get 100% charge , and applecare is saying that is normal. I am pissed it is 97% not 100%. Does your battery charge fully at 97%?
Yes, that is normal. If you plug in the computer after it is above 95% charged then it will not charge anymore. This is to prevent overcharging the battery.
__________________
*Super high tech stuff goes here*
iBookG4user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 07:31 PM   #17
JediMeister
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just a minor add-on to the last two posts: battery may not show a full charge in Mac OS X.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:23 PM   #18
NPC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
this has been a worry of mine also so im wondering if someone could tell me ifthese are average?

withnothing running and 50% brightness my batt life says 5:42 remaining

according to coconut battery:

Current battery charge: 3780 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4103 mAh
(91%)

Current Battery capacity: 4103 mAh
Original Battery capacity: 4100 mAh
100%

Battery-loadcycle: 91
Age of your mac: 12 months
Charge connect: no
Battery is charging: no

im guessing this is about normal when i run a dvd it gvie me about 3 hours or jsut under of run time (according to the battery icon)

so is my battery in good health?
NPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Battery Problems Macbook Aluminum 13" patmcgroin999 MacBook 5 Aug 15, 2013 01:37 AM
Mavericks and MacBook Air even longer battery Speedy10x MacBook Air 1 Jun 13, 2013 06:38 AM
Need new battery (A1280) for Aluminum Macbook 5,1 - best off buying from Apple? brasskey MacBook 4 Mar 31, 2013 09:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC