Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
This macbook aluminum is refurbish from apple store online. It works perfectly but battery life is very short. I lower the screen brightness under 50 % and turn off bluetooth. When the battery is 100 percent full charge, the time says it will last two hours and half not even close to 3 hours or more. What do you think?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can you please provide the specs of your machine? Year, model, etc. The information is important in determining battery life expectations.

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Can you please provide the specs of your machine? Year, model, etc. The information is important in determining battery life expectations.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Standard keyboard

I install coconut battery application It gave me details that this computer is four months old, and its refurbish but bought almost a month ago. Battery life important for class or other normal school activity.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The specs of that machine suggest a 5-hour battery life.
With 50% brightness, what else are you doing? Watching movies?

How many cycles do you have? Download (free) coconut battery to check health and cycles.

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
The specs of that machine suggest a 5-hour battery life.
With 50% brightness, what else are you doing? Watching movies?

How many cycles do you have? Download (free) coconut battery to check health and cycles.

Yes, I do watch videos like youtube or dvd movies but not most of the time. Majority of time is based on university projects using Microsoft office or just typing or reading.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Please download coconut battery and post your cycle count and battery health.
Post them like so:
Voila_Capture10.jpg

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As you may see from many threads about battery life, it comes down to what processes might use you CPU.

YouTube for example uses Flash to play their videos, which uses quite a lot of CPU power.
Office might use a lot of CPU power too, you should check Activity Monitor and select to Show All Processes and sort by CPU.

3433908356_932c4b0e97.jpg

If your CPU usage is above 33% constantly, the battery life you get seems normal.

I currently write this post on an older white MacBook which has a battery with more capacity than the one used for the Unibody MacBook, and my CPU usage averages at about 15% with 10 Applications open and my battery indicator in the Menu Bar tells me I have 3h44m left.

If I go to YouTube and watch videos via Flash I get around 40% of CPU usage and I only have 2h52m left.
My display is almost at full brightness (2 bars left).

For watching YouTube videos without Flash you can download a Safari Add-On called ClickToFlash, which will disable Flash content (but which can be enabled via clicking on the Flash content) anywhere, and enable you to watch YouTube videos in QuickTime (in the browser window) as an .h264 encoded video which will use less CPU and therefore saving you some battery capacity.

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
This is the activity monitor.

Attachments

• Processes.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 415

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Upload the image (.jpg or .png) to an online image host like Flickr or maybe even your own webspace, copy the link from the image, it should look like this: h t t p : / / farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/637398794_89b2f0fc95_o.jpg (I have separated the http:// part only for show, so it won't convert to a link), then post a reply here or edit a post you already made, then click on the yellow image icon
insertimage.gif
, insert the copied address and press okay.

EDIT:

This is the activity monitor.

It looks quite normal at the moment, but it may be, that at other times the CPU is used more than what is shown in that single moment you took a peek at it.

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Upload the image (.jpg or .png) to an online image host like Flickr or maybe even your own webspace, copy the link from the image, it should look like this: h t t p : / / farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/637398794_89b2f0fc95_o.jpg (I have separated the http:// part only for show, so it won't convert to a link), then post a reply here or edit a post you already made, then click on the yellow image icon
insertimage.gif
, insert the copied address and press okay.

EDIT:

It looks quite normal at the moment, but it may be, that at other times the CPU is used more than what is shown in that single moment you took a peek at it.

I will just write down the coconut battery results.

Current battery charge: 3585 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4134 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 4134mAh
Original Battery capacity:4100 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 83
Age of your mac: 4 months
Charge connect: YES
Battery is charging: YES

This laptop is one month old refurbish laptop, not four months.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
i also have a unibody macbook and 2-3 hours of real usage (wifi, internet browsing, music playing) is about right

the quoted 5 hour figure is basically when you have low brightness and are doing nothing

if you do a search you will see quite a few posts complaining about the battery life of the unibody macbooks

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
i also have a unibody macbook and 2-3 hours of real usage (wifi, internet browsing, music playing) is about right

the quoted 5 hour figure is basically when you have low brightness and are doing nothing

if you do a search you will see quite a few posts complaining about the battery life of the unibody macbooks
Current battery charge: 3585 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4021 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 4021mAh
Original Battery capacity:4005 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 99

Is this getting worse or normal?

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
How Apple Determines Battery Life

I went through this as well...back and forth with Apple regarding my brand new MBP. I ended up *very* annoyed (they had me send in my computer, but didn't end up doing anything to it!) because this is how they determine battery life (which is, of course, completely unrealistic...no one uses their computer this way!):

1. Fully charge the computer.
2. Set the display brightness to 50%.
3. Turn on AirPort.
4. Turn off Bluetooth.
5. Remove any external devices.
6. Disable sleep and screen saver.
7. Disable any background processes such as Time Machine backup or third-party background applications, file sharing, internet sharing, and so on.
8. When you've completed these steps, remove AC power, start a timer, and let the computer sit with no applications open. Be sure to let the computer run until it forces itself to sleep without any interruptions.
9. Once it is asleep stop the timer and write down the hour and minutes the computer stayed on before going to sleep.
:confused::mad:

mrgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
I went through this as well...back and forth with Apple regarding my brand new MBP. I ended up *very* annoyed (they had me send in my computer, but didn't end up doing anything to it!) because this is how they determine battery life (which is, of course, completely unrealistic...no one uses their computer this way!):

1. Fully charge the computer.
2. Set the display brightness to 50%.
3. Turn on AirPort.
4. Turn off Bluetooth.
5. Remove any external devices.
6. Disable sleep and screen saver.
7. Disable any background processes such as Time Machine backup or third-party background applications, file sharing, internet sharing, and so on.
8. When you've completed these steps, remove AC power, start a timer, and let the computer sit with no applications open. Be sure to let the computer run until it forces itself to sleep without any interruptions.
9. Once it is asleep stop the timer and write down the hour and minutes the computer stayed on before going to sleep.
:confused::mad:

Ok here the update for my battery lifespan since this computer is month old.

Current battery charge: 3923 mAh
Maximum battery charge:3923 mAh

Current Battery capacity: 3923mAh
Original Battery capacity:3923 mAh

Battery-loadcycle: 110

My battery charges up to 97% as fully charge, do you think that's normal?
I can't get 100% charge , and applecare is saying that is normal. I am pissed it is 97% not 100%. Does your battery charge fully at 97%?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
My battery charges up to 97% as fully charge, do you think that's normal?
I can't get 100% charge , and applecare is saying that is normal. I am pissed it is 97% not 100%. Does your battery charge fully at 97%?

Yes, that is normal. If you plug in the computer after it is above 95% charged then it will not charge anymore. This is to prevent overcharging the battery.

NPC

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
this has been a worry of mine also so im wondering if someone could tell me ifthese are average?

withnothing running and 50% brightness my batt life says 5:42 remaining

according to coconut battery:

Current battery charge: 3780 mAh
Maximum battery charge:4103 mAh
(91%)

Current Battery capacity: 4103 mAh
Original Battery capacity: 4100 mAh
100%

Battery-loadcycle: 91
Age of your mac: 12 months
Charge connect: no
Battery is charging: no

im guessing this is about normal when i run a dvd it gvie me about 3 hours or jsut under of run time (according to the battery icon)

so is my battery in good health?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.