Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
First off, let me say I am not familiar with Macs at all.
But this is for my girlfriend.

She has a Powerbook G4 from 2005, she said that it was having a lot of problems (spyware/virus'/who knows) and the internet stopped working, etc...so she stopped using it.
She got a new laptop (nice solution!) instead of trying to fix her Powerbook (I dont understand the logic here) now her laptop is having problems.
My solution for fixing the laptop is a fresh install of the OS, but of course she does not have the original CDs.
So I thought...why not try to get the Mac working again.

I went to the Apple store and this is what I was told:
1. They will put the original OS on (Tiger) for free
or
2. If I get a Leopard disc, then they will put it on for me (for free)

Is it worth getting Leopard for the Powerbook, or just stick with Tiger?

My concerns are:
1. I know her G4 CAN run Leopard, but SHOULD it? Like her PC laptop can (and does) run Vista, but Vista runs like crap on her laptop because while it can run it, its not strong enough to run it well. Would that be the same situation here? It can run Leopard...but maybe its not strong enough to run it well?
2. Is there a big difference between Tiger and Leopard? What are some differences?
3. I heard there is right clicking in Apple now. Is that with Leopard?
4. Since Tiger is so old...is Apple still supporting it? Like with windows, if I choose to install windows 95, I won't be getting the latest security updates for it anymore, since MS doesn't support it anymore.

Thanks

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
First off, let me say I am not familiar with Macs at all.
But this is for my girlfriend.

She has a Powerbook G4 from 2005, she said that it was having a lot of problems (spyware/virus'/who knows) and the internet stopped working, etc...so she stopped using it.
She got a new laptop (nice solution!) instead of trying to fix her Powerbook (I dont understand the logic here) now her laptop is having problems.
My solution for fixing the laptop is a fresh install of the OS, but of course she does not have the original CDs.
So I thought...why not try to get the Mac working again.

I went to the Apple store and this is what I was told:
1. They will put the original OS on (Tiger) for free
or
2. If I get a Leopard disc, then they will put it on for me (for free)

Is it worth getting Leopard for the Powerbook, or just stick with Tiger?

My concerns are:
1. I know her G4 CAN run Leopard, but SHOULD it? Like her PC laptop can (and does) run Vista, but Vista runs like crap on her laptop because while it can run it, its not strong enough to run it well. Would that be the same situation here? It can run Leopard...but maybe its not strong enough to run it well?
2. Is there a big difference between Tiger and Leopard? What are some differences?
3. I heard there is right clicking in Apple now. Is that with Leopard?
4. Since Tiger is so old...is Apple still supporting it? Like with windows, if I choose to install windows 95, I won't be getting the latest security updates for it anymore, since MS doesn't support it anymore.

Thanks

Here are a couple of related posts on this topic:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/625980/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/414308/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.