Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetworkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I'm still relatively new to mac. I've really had very little trouble so I never had the ambition to dig around to fix things like I had to do in Windows. There's never been anything to fix.

But I've been doing some digging today to solve an issue--I cannot open a .tif (or .tiff) file on my mac.

I've searched old threads and googled for a solution but nothing works. I used to be able to open these files BEFORE I installed Snow Leopard--and that's interesting because there have been other issues I've had after I installed Snow L that I didn't have in Leopard--playing .avi's (I figured that one out.)

Any help/ suggestions/ criticism/ abuse is appreciated...

Jim

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You should be able to open .tiff files in Preview. Just right-click on a .tiff file in Finder and "Open with" > Preview. What happens when you try that? Is it all .tiff files, or just a particular one?

You'll get better responses if you use a thread title that describes what you're looking for, such as "can't open .tiff files", rather than something generic like "snow leopard". To change your thread title, go to this link and double-click in the area circled. Then you can edit your thread title.
Picture 1.jpg

jetworkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the info and advice--I tried Preview and a host of other programs through my searches and each program has it's own little way of telling me it can't open the files--Preview gave me this:

The file “2001 Subaru.tiff” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't understand. (I also changed the extension to .tif and got the same message...

However I was able to open these files before I installed Snow L.

Thanks,

Jim

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I ask again: is it just a particular file or a few? or is it all .tiff files? If it's just a few or one, it's entirely possible that the file is damaged.

jetworkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the info and advice--I tried Preview and a host of other programs through my searches and each program has it's own little way of telling me it can't open the files--Preview gave me this:

The file “2001 Subaru.tiff” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't understand. (I also changed the extension to .tif and got the same message...

However I was able to open these files before I installed Snow L.

Thanks,

Jim
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.