Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Wondering if anyone has the magic mouse and has used it with Adobe CS, Google SketchUp, or various other programs. I've been waiting for Apple to release a new mouse and i hope it works well for professional use and not just safari browsing

FatDaddy 64.5

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
Yeah I'm not too sure about the Magic Mouse. As far as I can tell I CAN'T access Dashboard with it nor use it as an Application Switcher (Which I use heavily when designing). I'll have to go try one out to see for sure. Oh and from viewing the demo video from Apple I HATE the idea that I have to lift my finger every time I want to left click on the mouse. I use the Mighty Mouse now and I click it by pressing down on it. I don't use much finger motion at all. I don't want to sound lazy, but I want to rest my fingers and use them less. I think that would be annoying to use and am limited on the features the Mighty Mouse already uses.

But like I said, I'll have to try one out just to make sure. From what I saw from the video, it's limiting to some degrees from it's predecessor.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Oh and from viewing the demo video from Apple I HATE the idea that I have to lift my finger every time I want to left click on the mouse. I use the Mighty Mouse now and I click it by pressing down on it.

i noticed that also but i dont feel like apple would be that dumb to make you lift your finger to left click. will have to try that out. the lack of a middle click button for panning worries me the most.

twombles62

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i noticed that also but i dont feel like apple would be that dumb to make you lift your finger to left click. will have to try that out. the lack of a middle click button for panning worries me the most.

You don't need to lift your finger to left click. You need to lift a finger to right click though, the same as the mighty mouse.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
You don't need to lift your finger to left click. You need to lift a finger to right click though, the same as the mighty mouse.

i didnt know thats how the mighty mouse worked. i thought it recognized what finger you pushed down with so it knew whether it was a left or right click. i never lift my index finger when right clicking on my iMac..that explains why i hate using the mighty mouse.
i really want to try a magic mouse out at the store. unlike some other people, im glad the expose side buttons are gone as they were almost always accidentally squeezed when grabbing the mouse to use

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I actually preordered the mouse on the online store and I'm using it for designing-I don't have a 360° scrolling mouse right now so this one is a plus for me, especially since the scroll wheel is the mouse itself.

blackdawg54

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
I cant stand the magic mouse with CS4, for these reasons:

1. I have a larger hand so the low profile design fatigues me quickly

2. I like to rest my fingers and when i do that with the magic mouse it can make the file jump all over the place as if i am trying to pan around.

3. the tracking seems very slow and somewhat lacking in precision even with the tracking speed all the way up.

I will stick with my logitech thank you

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
The Magic Mouse is really bad with 3D programs as well. I have used Cinema4D, 3D Studio Max via Bootcamp and the free Blender and any slight touch of the surface of the mouse causes your model to move around. It is very annoying. I find myself having to work very hard to keep things from moving.

Photoshop and Flash also have the same problem. My canvas or stage keeps moving around when I don't want it to. Very annoying.

The Magic mouse is awesome when surfing the web or doing basic computer tasks but you should pick up another mouse for design work.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I use the magic mouse with CS3 and Photoshop very day and find it excellent. Nicest piece of kit I've had the pleasure of using

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
It's borderline unusable with Illustrator: unless you are scrupulously careful to ensure that your middle finger is clear of the mouse before you move your index finger, the whole canvas moves.

For everything apart from PS/AI, I rather like the Magic Mouse, so I've just taken to using the Wacom exclusively for CS work ...

Cheers!

Jim

haliaetus

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Second on Better Touch Tool. I use it with Maya, Photoshop, Blender, Canvas X, etc. BTT lets you customize multi-touch gestures for each program, or globally; it also lets you desensitize parts of the surface to taps. If you have big hands though, it might feel a little small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.