Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:31 PM   #1
oldschool
macrumors 65816

3 people in a hotel room

i'm just about to book a trip to cancun with two other friends, but we just realized that it may be very hard to have 3 people in a room all sleeping in different beds.

The standard room has two double beds and i dont' think this will be sufficient.

Any ideas on what to do with three people in a room?
oldschool is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool
No comment, this is a family show.

Just watch the drinking.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:35 PM   #3
sarae
macrumors 6502

Quote:

get real cozy?
sarae is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:46 PM   #4
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Pick up a $15 dirt cheapo inflatable bed (twin size) and use that for the smallest of the three people. My brother has one for when I visit him from time to time. The bed he has inflates in maybe 90 seconds and can be jumped on, stepped on, and doesn't need to be deflated for days... though I recommend deflating it whenever possible.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:50 PM   #5
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

Ha! When I went to Lake Tahoe on New Year's, there were seven of us in one room with two queen beds. Four girls and three guys . It was pretty bad. We ended up giving the girls the beds and us guys slept on the floor. The sleeping arangements were alright, but the difficult part was being in such close proximity with that many people for two days. Even though we were out most of the time, it became tiring.

I guess what I'm saying is that three people won't be so bad.
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:56 PM   #6
Nspace
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nspace
Bring a sleeping bag, and each night have an intense game of rock paper scisors to see who sleeps on the floor. I am sure you could improvise on the method of selection though.
Nspace is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:04 PM   #7
D0ct0rteeth
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via MSN to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Yahoo to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Skype™ to D0ct0rteeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace
Bring a sleeping bag, and each night have an intense game of rock paper scisors to see who sleeps on the floor. I am sure you could improvise on the method of selection though.
or "high stakes Rochambeau" as me and the guys here like to call it

- Doc
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:17 PM   #8
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
does your room have a sofa bed? when me and my parents and my brothers go on a trip we usually get 1 room with 2 beds and a sofa bed and 2 people use sleeping bags and the other 3 use the sofa and the beds
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:34 PM   #9
Baron58

Quote:
i'm just about to book a trip to cancun with two other friends, but we just realized that it may be very hard to have 3 people in a room all sleeping in different beds.

The standard room has two double beds and i dont' think this will be sufficient.

Drag a mattress off one of the beds onto the floor. One person sleeps on the mattress-less box-springs, everyone has their own space. Put it back in the morning so the hotel doesn't get suspicious. Switch who gets to sleep on the mattress on the floor/on the boxsprings/on the regular bed every night to keep it fair (unless people are happy with their selection).
Baron58 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:48 AM   #10
dotcomlarry
macrumors regular

You can probably ask the hotel for a roll-away bed... most hotels offer those for a small fee...
dotcomlarry is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:28 AM   #11
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

You used to living in luxury or something? Two people sleep in one bed, and one person sleeps in the other. Then you rotate so that you all get to sleep alone in one bed. Either that, or one person has to sleep in a sleeping bag, and you each rotate and have to sleep in the bag every 3 nights.
I've had much worse.

Anyway, how big is a double bed? I believe I have a single bed right now, but I'm not too sure.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:49 AM   #12
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
You used to living in luxury or something? Two people sleep in one bed, and one person sleeps in the other. Then you rotate so that you all get to sleep alone in one bed. Either that, or one person has to sleep in a sleeping bag, and you each rotate and have to sleep in the bag every 3 nights.
I've had much worse.

Anyway, how big is a double bed? I believe I have a single bed right now, but I'm not too sure.
I totally agree. If you can't share a bed for a few nights how are you going to put up with each other during the day?

Anyway: bed sizes
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:21 AM   #13
sonofslim
macrumors 6502a

pillow + bathtub = sweet dreams. (and mildew!)
sonofslim is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:29 AM   #14
krimson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to krimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofslim
pillow + bathtub = sweet dreams. (and mildew!)
when I go snowboard in Mammoth, that's usually where I end up sleeping.
----

but yeah, roll away's are usually like $10 or so.

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Mac Folding team!
krimson is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:12 PM   #15
Doctor Q
Administrator

All of these suggestions will work. I assume sleeping in shifts has been ruled out because you all want to be on the same schedule.

You could also get extra pillow and towels and make an extra sleeping space on the floor using them with the bedspread from the bed, folded in half. I've spent a few nights in a makeshift bed like that when there weren't enough to go around, and it gets the job done.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 01:32 AM   #16
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Well you can ask for a 'rollaway' bed for atleast one of you to sleep on, the other gets the floor.

Everynight you rotate which gets the floor.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 02:27 PM   #17
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ct0rteeth
or "high stakes Rochambeau" as me and the guys here like to call it

- Doc
Is Rochambeu when you kick each other in the balls and the last person standing wins? Because thats how it was portrayed on South Park and I had never heard of it till I saw the show.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 02:58 PM   #18
Doctor Q
Administrator

The South Park version certainly sounds entertaining, but Rochambeau is more commonly used as another name for the rock-paper-scissors game. A quick way to make three-person decisions.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 03:06 PM   #19
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
Hmmm. I've never heard Rock, Paper, Scissors called rochambeau till now. Maybe its a regional dialect thing like soda is called soda, coke, or pop depending on where you live.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 03:58 PM   #20
wdlove
macrumors 604

You should contact your hotel. Many times they can add a small bed to the room. That way you could sleep all three comfortably.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 05:40 PM   #21
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeMyiMac
Hmmm. I've never heard Rock, Paper, Scissors called rochambeau till now. Maybe its a regional dialect thing like soda is called soda, coke, or pop depending on where you live.
I was going to quote you from Wikipedia, but the whole article there is hilariously detailed. It even mentions South Park. Take a peek.

The article also tells you variations of the game that could be used for the "who sleeps on the floor" decision. For example, the "Rock Paper Scissors Spock Lizard" variation would be used when there are 5 travelers and there are beds for two people, a sofa for one person, and two to sleep on the floor.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 08:28 PM   #22
themadchemist
macrumors 68030

Two people can share a bed...It won't be that bad.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:58 PM   #23
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
Yeah just have 2 in a bed, and if you drink and do do it, so what, its all good anyways.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 04:43 AM   #24
zyuzin4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to zyuzin4 Send a message via Yahoo to zyuzin4
one guy can sleep in the bathtub. double beds are pretty small for two grown men to be in, but if your room turns out to have queen sized beds it shouldn't be a problem. How old are you? afraid of sleeping with another guy?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 05:48 AM   #25
Jalexster
macrumors 6502a

Just sleep with all your clothes on. Or else your body's natural systems might activate in presence to anouther thinly clothed body.

I'm not saying thats wrong, but not everyone wants to do it.
Jalexster is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community