Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tec2030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I've had Snow Leopard since the day it came out. And I installed it that same day. Since then Spotlight is constantly indexing and will not stop. I noticed about a week after installation when I went to use stoplight and it wouldn't let me because it was indexing. Now fast forward to today I still haven't fixed this problem because I never really needed to use it. So no I have the need, and I need to fix this problem. Can anyone help?

BTW I'm using a 13" aluminum Mac Book bought around June '09 the model right before the current 13" aluminum Mac Book Pro's

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Enable Hidden Files and Folders (Run this command in Terminal.app: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES). Then, go to Macintosh HD (or similar) and find the folder that is called ".Spotlight-V10'". Trash this file, restart and see if that fixes the issue.

Removing this folder completely erases the Spotlight index and Spotlight will obviously re-index once to re-create the index.

tec2030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I put that command line into Terminal but what is the exact pathway to the Spotlight file? How can I even find without spotlight itself lol. Sorry, I'm new to mac, the last one I owned was about 17 years ago :p

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I put that command line into Terminal but what is the exact pathway to the Spotlight file? How can I even find without spotlight itself lol. Sorry, I'm new to mac, the last one I owned was about 17 years ago :p

It should be located right on your Macintosh HD after enabling hidden files and folders.

davepar

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Assuming you know something about the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) you can try:

disable spotlight indexing on /

sudo mdutil -i off /

erase spotlight index on /

sudo mdutil -E /

show status of spotlight indexing

sudo mdutil -s -a

enable spotlight indexing of /

sudo mdutil -i on /

There's a bit of a quirk with spotlight in 10.6 compared to previous versions that may be affecting you. See:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=106703
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6126_102-0.html?threadID=366184

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.