Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iboy38

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Waldorf, MD
I wan't to start editing videos for fun when I get my 13inch MacBook Pro, but I'm having a hard time finding a good camcorder that will import to iMovie '09 using FireWire. Can anyone reccomend me a good one $400 or under? Give me links if you can.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Well, for something under $400 that imports via firewire, you are pretty much going to be stuck with an SD camcorder if you want new. You might be able to get a used Canon HDV camera for under $400.

Check out the Canon ZR and Elura lines.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yeah....a used one. You can probably find a Panasonic AG-HSC1U in the 500-700 dollar range. It's going to be a real challenge finding something in the $400 category though. Good luck and let us know if/what you found.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Wow that is a super price - sure it's not a server error? I had the HD 1000 model two years ago and it was $700. It is a great camera and produces excellent images. It helps to keep it on a tripod or Merlin most of the time. Can't beat the price. Someone better order one before they yank it!

iboy38

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Waldorf, MD
I'm not really looking for a professional HD camera, just a simple basic one for now so I can practice video editing.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Both Sony and Canon sell miniDV cameras for around $250. They are standard def cameras, possibly with a 16:9 wide-angle option. They should be just plug and play via the firewire ports. You can buy a lot of tape for the remaining $150 and they are good backup medium. Firewire cameras can also be used at a second iSight web camera.

If you can find a camera that will work with your Mac that does at least 720p, I think that will be more enjoyable because of the higher density picture. These new HD cameras are amazing, even the very low end ones like the KODAK Zi8. The low end cameras have no, or terrible, steady shot capability, so a tripod is even more advisable.

I can't think of a reason you need a firewire camera. You machine can read from the many USB cameras too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.