Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I shot this wedding in Big Sur with a Canon Vixia HF20 camera and got nothing but hard shadows in the foreground even when I would put my back to the sun. I've tried some basic changes with the 3-way color corrector in Final Cut 7, but it really washes out the entire picture.

1. Any tips on how to possible fix the shot so we can see his face?

2. How do I avoid this in the future? I tried many different modes, nothing seemed to fix it.
What setting would you guys use to fix the foreground?

Best,
DD

s1hxd2.png

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Can you do a frame grab of the video and post a still?(I must have posted before your upload) That way we know exactly what your seeing and can offer suggestions for correction.

In the future I would probable use a camera light or if you have an extra set of hands a light reflector. A Camera light, even though outside will help brighten your subjects face when the competing background is too bright. You can get an led one starting at $109

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/642756-REG/Bescor__LED_35_LED_On_Camera.html

Or one that can be dimmed for a little more. $229

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542007-REG/Litepanels_LP_MICRO_LPMICRO_Micro_LED_on.html

Currently I own both. There both plastic so you'll have to be carefully with them. But they do a great job and batteries will last the entire day/evening. Be careful that you you use your filters to try and match the color temperature outside with your camera light.

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Just a quick solution; make a copy of the clip place it on video track 2 over the original clip. On the copied clip on Track 2 - Right click > Composite Mode > Overlay

This will brighten you subjects face. It also lightly brightens the background but does not blow the background out.

Tweaking using the color correction tool can also be done but this was one of the quick solutions. You'll have to compromise with lightening the background.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
thanks

I used the double clip trick but I had to use "Add" or "Screen" Overlay made it darker.

Also, I did have a LED light on the camera but it didn't help for those shots when I was far away.

Also, would you put a blue filter on the light to balance it?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This is something I did real fast w/the 3-way CC in FCP. His face is a bit noisy and how well this much of a change will hold up on a moving image I'm not sure, but you can always hit "undo", right?

High contrast conditions like this are hard to shoot in especially w/consumer cameras that don't have very good dynamic range. If you can get a neutral density filter that can help or a bounce board (as someone else mentioned) but that's not really viable for an event like a wedding, and a tiny, on-camera light has no chance to compete w/the sun. Another option is to buy a nicer camera that has better dynamic range. Ultimately you have to expose for your subject even if that means losing other parts of the image. Is seeing the guy's face more or less important than seeing the sky?

Lethal

Attachments

• Still_Test_01small.png
    Still_Test_01small.png
    299 KB · Views: 130
  • Still_Test_01CCwheels.png
    Still_Test_01CCwheels.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 110

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Lethal?

Thanks Lethal for posting that. I noticed when I would tilt down to the Grooms hands that it would adjust nicely and the range looked perfect. What setting in the Canon or any other camera would have to be played with so that the camera focus' on the face and not the background? This is the first time I've had to deal with these circumstances and the first time I've used this camera.

I normally shoot with a Sony Z1U but the client wanted a cheap deal so I brought my smaller camera.

So what do I have to adjust in the settings on the Canon or Z1U so that the camera focus' on the face and not the background.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks Lethal for posting that. I noticed when I would tilt down to the Grooms hands that it would adjust nicely and the range looked perfect. What setting in the Canon or any other camera would have to be played with so that the camera focus' on the face and not the background?
There's not really a mode or setting to tell the camera "Hey, expose for this person's face" and have the camera track that person's face and adjust the exposure on the fly. You need to pay attention to the area you want to properly expose (zebras are great for this) and adjust exposure manually as needed. Of course the down side to consumer cameras (and to a lesser extent 99% of prosumer cameras) is that adjusting settings on the fly is not easy. It something that takes practice as well as being familiar w/your camera so you can learn how "wiggle room" you have w/regards to exposure and manipulating the image after the fact in your NLE.

Lethal

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks.

Steve Hullfish has some good books about color correcting video digitally (all three are listed in the "What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?" section). Once you learn how the different parameters affect the image color correction makes much more sense and you need much less trial and error to achieve the look you want.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.