Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Greenturtle
macrumors member

iBook Battery Woes :(

Hi guys, I recently acquired a beautiful iBook G3 (900mhz, 640mb RAM, 40gb HDD + Airport) which I was surprised to see had a really good battery life for such an old Machine.

Battery indicator was reporting about 5-6 hours remaining on use so it all seemed pretty good as far as the machine was concerned. On using it intensively all day I got the battery down to 50% a minute later the machine went into an unwake-able sleep mode.

The battery indicator on the base indicated a single flashing light which I found most confusing as it was half way down the LEDs before.

So I plugged it back into a charger, the machine turned on and it indicated 0% charge. I let it jump it's way back up to 100% in a rather sporadic manner of figure jumping. I figured it must be something to do with the battery calibration? So I did the open firmware reset-nvram reset-all and I took the battery out and hit the power button for 50 seconds.

I found after that the start up time was faster but the battery after trying to run it down to 0% turned off at 50% again with the same scenario as last time.

Has anyone got any ideas other than 'buy a new battery'? It is something I'm willing to do but I'd like to exhaust all my options first. I also installed coconutbattery to reveal some pretty bizarre figures.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	11
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	200926  

Last edited by Greenturtle; Aug 4, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Greenturtle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Greenturtle
macrumors member

No one's needed to calibrate an iBook battery before then?
Greenturtle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
scienide09
macrumors 65816

When the computer goes to sleep dut to low battery, is that when you're plugging it in again?

I would wait until the battery drains completely. Let it go to sleep, then leave it overnight at least so that it has a chance to fully discharge.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs