Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Hi guys, I recently acquired a beautiful iBook G3 (900mhz, 640mb RAM, 40gb HDD + Airport) which I was surprised to see had a really good battery life for such an old Machine.

Battery indicator was reporting about 5-6 hours remaining on use so it all seemed pretty good as far as the machine was concerned. On using it intensively all day I got the battery down to 50% a minute later the machine went into an unwake-able sleep mode.

The battery indicator on the base indicated a single flashing light which I found most confusing as it was half way down the LEDs before.

So I plugged it back into a charger, the machine turned on and it indicated 0% charge. I let it jump it's way back up to 100% in a rather sporadic manner of figure jumping. I figured it must be something to do with the battery calibration? So I did the open firmware reset-nvram reset-all and I took the battery out and hit the power button for 50 seconds.

I found after that the start up time was faster but the battery after trying to run it down to 0% turned off at 50% again with the same scenario as last time.

Has anyone got any ideas other than 'buy a new battery'? It is something I'm willing to do but I'd like to exhaust all my options first. I also installed coconutbattery to reveal some pretty bizarre figures.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
When the computer goes to sleep dut to low battery, is that when you're plugging it in again?

I would wait until the battery drains completely. Let it go to sleep, then leave it overnight at least so that it has a chance to fully discharge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.