Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Elbartow
macrumors newbie

Will Morrowind/Oblivion run on my iMac?

Hello,

I'm a huge fan of The Elder Scrolls series. I'm getting the new iMac 21,5" w/ 4670 next week and am kinda worried wether these two games are playable via Bootcamp, especially Morrowind.

Maybe the iMac is "too good" for Morrowind? I mean, maybe the graphics card or the processor won't support such an old game (2002).

Sorry for my bad computer knowledge
Elbartow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Dagless
macrumors Core

Given that you can buy Morrowmind on Steam, yea it probably will work on your computer. Windows isn't like OSX, you can still run legacy games perfectly. Sometimes you might need to run very old games under DOSbox (dos emulator) but I've never had to and I still play Doom .
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

They will work fine
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Elbartow
macrumors newbie

Another question about the resolution: I played Morrowind on my dad's PC (w/ tube screen). The highest (native) resolution selectable was 1600 x 1200, full screen. Will I be able to run it full screen on the iMac as well, without any stretching? The iMac's rez is 1920 x 1080, so this might be an issue? Or will it kind of "auto-adjust"?

Thx for the replies.
Elbartow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbartow View Post
Another question about the resolution: I played Morrowind on my dad's PC (w/ tube screen). The highest (native) resolution selectable was 1600 x 1200, full screen. Will I be able to run it full screen on the iMac as well, without any stretching? The iMac's rez is 1920 x 1080, so this might be an issue? Or will it kind of "auto-adjust"?

Thx for the replies.
A quick search in google for 'morrowind widescreen' should provide you with some answers.

But yes morrowind will run fine. There are even some hacks available that let you push out the draw distance so you can see more without all that fog in your face.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:16 PM   #6
bailmdb
macrumors newbie

What about mods?

I'm sorry, but I had to jump on this thread, as I just bought my first Mac. I should get my new 15" Macbook Pro on Wed and I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I'm thrilled to see that it will run on the Mac, but what about the mods? I have a plethora (yes, I did pull out that 3 Amigos file) of mods and I can't see playing the game without them. Any insight would be helpful.

Also, while I'm at it, on my PC I use a program called "Alcohol 120%" to create an image of the full Morrowind disc and just house it on my HDD. Then I never have to worry about the disc. Is there a good program for the Mac that would allow me to do the same? TIA.
bailmdb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmdb View Post
I'm sorry, but I had to jump on this thread, as I just bought my first Mac. I should get my new 15" Macbook Pro on Wed and I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I'm thrilled to see that it will run on the Mac, but what about the mods? I have a plethora (yes, I did pull out that 3 Amigos file) of mods and I can't see playing the game without them. Any insight would be helpful.

Also, while I'm at it, on my PC I use a program called "Alcohol 120%" to create an image of the full Morrowind disc and just house it on my HDD. Then I never have to worry about the disc. Is there a good program for the Mac that would allow me to do the same? TIA.
Well you have to remember, in order to play Morrowind, or any PC game, you need to install bootcamp and then install windows. So once you have windows installed, then you can just run morrowind and any mods you want as you usually do. You cannot run Morrowind under OSX natively.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games