Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
manmeet
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to manmeet Send a message via Skype™ to manmeet
Increase Internet speed

I just found that when I download from the net, via http, my internet speed is up to 50 kbps but I used transmission once which offered me more than 200 kbps, which means that my net is able to get more than 200 kb/s so can anyone tell me how how to get more speed on applications like safari.
Thanks!
manmeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

They have almost nothing to do with each other. Your question is meaningless.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Jason Beck
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Jason Beck
If you are using a laptop, wrap the whole thing in tin foil. leave the screen
part open (so u can see), it doesn't have to be pretty.. but it will make your speed bounce from 50 or whatever to 200kpbs stable.

If your using a desktop, you just wrap your monitor up with tin foil. Leave the screen uncovered.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
otis123
macrumors 6502a

there is nothing you can do to increase speed, other than upgrade your ISP, that speed over http has nothing to do with you speed when torrenting.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:19 PM   #5
calderone
macrumors 68040

You could change your DNS servers, to something like OpenDNS. I have found that my ISP, even though they are large and their name begins with C, has terrible DNS servers.

We are talking a few seconds, maybe, and that is only to resolve the IP. It will not help with loading, that is solely dependent on the speed your ISP provides you.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

torrenting can improve a bit over normal HTTP if it has more connections open, but you're still going to be limited by the connection speed to your ISP. Sometimes you can speed up HTTP by increasing the number of simultaneous connections though.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:04 PM   #7
iVoid
macrumors 65816

When downloading from safari, you're usually talking to a single server. Your speed is limited by the speed of the remote server, your internet speed and your local computer.

In Transmission, your torrents will be downloading from multiple sources, so you will typically see more speed than what you'd see in a single download from safari.

Not much you can do if the single source download is limited by the source's send speed.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:12 AM   #8
OMGaNewbie
macrumors newbie

Speed Up Your Internet Free

I came across a nice young mans web site, which offers video tutorials.
He just happens to have one for this very issue.

This is the link: http://www.simpletutorials.tk/

Click the Videos tab. Scroll down to a video called "Speed Up Your Internet Mac Free" The page will open on Youtube.

I tried it today, but being NOT so computer savvy, I am hitting a road block.
I keep getting the warning sign. Reading some of the posts on that page, they say you have to sign in as an Admin.? I don't get it.

If anyone can figure out an easier way of doing what he is saying pls let me know. Others have done it & it's working great for them. But others, like me, are doing something wrong.
OMGaNewbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X